Friday, August 21, 2015

A Whole New Chapter

I got a job!
A paying job. I have long volunteered in many arenas of my life.
I decided that since Quinn is now driving,  I could take a job that required more of my time.
However, I wanted to still be able to look after the house and make dinner.  Especially dinner.
I was also hopeful to find a job that would allow me to keep my two long-term volunteer positions.
No nights or weekends either.
Sounds like a pretty tough list, huh? It has been.


It only made sense that I apply at our local school district. 
I'd have the same vacations that Quinn has, have nights and weekends off and have hours that meshed with my wife and mom duties.  
I also missed being with little kids (see yesterdays post).


I was turned down for one job that I felt I would be a shoe-in for.  I would simply be an assistant to a Pre-K teacher.  I was sent a nice email telling me that they'd had a large number of applicants and that I wasn't qualified for the position.  I was feeling pretty let down.  Geez, if I'm not qualified to assist in a classroom, what am I qualified for?  I raised 3 kids and I was room-mom extraordinaire for all 3 of my kids many times.  I let it go and decided I would look for seasonal work come Thanksgiving.

Yesterday, my cell phone rang at 7:30am.  I normally don't answer a call that doesn't have an ID.  I figured it must be someone I know or at the very least, a wrong number.  I answered.

I almost hung up because it was obvious that it was someone on their car's bluetooth and I honestly could barely understand him.  
I heard 3 things that made me stay on the call.  "Job" (crackle, crackle) "DSISD" (crackle, crackle) and "Haven't taken another job?" (crackle, crackle).

He did something in his car that made it easier to understand him, but I still wasn't completely clear on which job he was referring to.  I figured I'd find out when I went to the interview.
I went, fingers crossed.  I had to make it clear to him that my ability to do the job was not predicated on having recent past experience in the classroom.  You see, I spent 6 years in the classroom as a preschool teacher, but it was 30 years ago.  The preschool no longer exists, so they were just going to have to take my word for it.
He did.
We talked for some time and he was convinced that I was the exact person for the job.  In fact, he told me he wished he would have interviewed me first and saved himself the scramble of finding the right person.  You see, school starts on Monday.  They have to do a background check, I have to be fingerprinted and they have to check all my references.  I have to sign papers, get my picture taken for a badge, etc.  

So, what's the job?

I will be an aide to a beautiful, red-headed little girl that is visually impaired.
While I will never share pictures of her or even mention her real name, I can tell you that she had leukemia as a small child.  She lost her eyesight to a virus and she has small seizures.  Her service dog is for her seizures and not for her vision impairment.
I will, for the sake of this blog, call her "Jane" and her dog, "Red".

My job will simply be to help her navigate through her day.  


I can't tell you how excited I am!  I can't wait to meet her and her family.  
I can't wait to assure her parents that I will treat their daughter like my own and that I will come to work ready to make her day a great one.


I have so many questions and want so badly to make this little girl's life as wonderful as possible.
I have long, long recognized that teachers help us raise our children.

I want her parents to be at ease and feel without question that I am the perfect person to be with their daughter every day.

And so, I am not only turning a page in my life, I am beginning a whole new chapter.
Then again, so is Jane.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It certainly sounds like a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is so up your alley. Couldn't be any happier for you. If you're allowed to give Red a hug tomorrow, pass along one from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Should be a wonderful experience for all three of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! The fits you perfectly! YAY! Wonderful on so many levels!!!
    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so fantastic. How exciting for you! Congratulations on what appears to be the perfect job for you - you will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah for you both! I am sure it will be very rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so proud of you. I KNOW you are the perfect person for this job and her family will know that too! I love you and I'm so excited to hear about about things go with you by her side!

    ReplyDelete