Saturday, May 16, 2015

Walkabout

I've always love the term 'Walkabout'.  It has it's roots in Australia.
I don't know where I first heard it.
It was either in The Man from Snowy River or Crocodile Dundee.
It is defined by Merriam Webster as:

1: a short period of wandering bush life engaged in by an Australian aborigine as an occasional interruption of regular work 
2:  something (as a journey) similar to a walkabout
3:  a walking tour; especially British :  one in which a well-known person mingles with the public 
photo credit: My long-suffering and good hearted neighbor, Jason
Eleanor (Roosevelt) and Ruth (Bader-Ginsburg) have decided they must talk privately about matters of state.  
And by privately, I mean a quarter mile (or more) away!


My chickens have always roamed, but these girls are taking it to a whole new level. 
They walk all the way across my pasture, through the neighbor's pasture, around their house and into their back yard.

They scratch up the neighbor's flower beds, leave 'presents' on their pool deck and look in windows to see who is home.  
It is a mystery that I have no hope of solving.

They are not going over to some secret egg-laying site, because they dutifully walk all the way home to the coop to do that.
There are not super secret snacks being provided by my neighbor.  
In fact, my sweet neighbors are worried that the girls will either get in with their dogs and get killed or be taken by coyotes or other predators that live just beyond their property. 
"Here Be Dragons"
I'm a practical chicken owner though.
If they get eaten, they get eaten.
You cannot tie a chicken to a chain in the backyard.


I have asked my neighbors to chase them away when they see them.
I am also trying to figure out ways to keep them on the property.
One way is to keep them in the chicken run for the better part of the day.
It's a very large run, with lots of things to eat and places to scratch and bathe.
However, Ruth can still get out of the run.
Eleanor has given up "flying', and so is stuck in the run.
Thankfully, Ruth isn't wont to wander so far without Eleanor's company.


Still, why all that way?
A mystery that will never be solved.
Any chicken whisperers out there?

5 comments:

  1. Haven't you seen "Chicken Run"? The chickens are revolting! (Although Eleanor and Ruth don't look revolting, they just look adventurous.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see Chicken Run! However, my girls have nothing to fear from being put in a pie.

      Delete
  2. If you have one that is flying out you can clip the longest feathers on her wings (they grow back) and she won't be able to fly. You might have to do this for several times until she gets the message she can't fly.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    https://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/sherlock-boomer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken Run was a great movie. Your girls do sound like the characters from the movie, just not the pie part . Wonder what made them go on such a long "walkabout". Better bugs in the neighbors yard? They sure are pretty hens tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Def Crocodile Dundee...

    anyhow, my ladies are homebodies thankfully...who knows, maybe it's the draw of the nice looking pool!

    ReplyDelete