Sunday, May 10, 2015

Steep Learning Curve

My congregation is badly in need of an up to date looking website.
Since I seem to be on the computer half the day anyway, I thought I'd take it on.

I Googled (has this officially become a verb yet?) 
"Free Website Templates"

One of the first things that popped up was 
"Top 10 Website Builders".


I picked the one that said "Easy for beginners" in its description.
Well, there ya go!  How hard could it be?
Famous last words!

While it doesn't require writing code, it does require that I save my work---often.
I found that I was mistakenly undoing something I really liked by simply moving to the next page.
I've completely, completely, completely started over with a new template 3 times.  
I just gave up on correcting one I'd chosen, and put several hours of work into!

I told Eric last night, "It's a bit like learning to back up a trailer.  You think you've got it and then all of the sudden the trailer has gone all wonky and is at a 90* angle to the truck."

I suppose it took me a while to learn my way around Blogger.
However, what I thought was going to be a quick weekend project is not a quick project at all.
It's probably going to take me a couple weeks to get put together so it looks nice, has all the right links and says something meaningful.

If WIX is "Easy for Beginners", I don't even want to know what other website designs are like.
Maybe I'll show it to you when I'm done.
Cross your fingers for me.
I'm going to need it.

2 comments:

  1. You are indeed a brave woman for even attempting something like that.I would have caved by now and called in the experts. I admire your courage and tenacity. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. It seems ironic that I'm putting together a website for my church and often feel like cussing a blue streak when I just can not fix something I have done/undone on it. :)

      Delete