Friday, May 8, 2015

Spring Update--Busy, Busy, Busy

In my last post about my septic system, I was hopeful that my septic issues would be taken care of by now.
photo credit: http://www.allproservicesco.com/
They are not.

However, I have discovered many things about our septic system.  
Primarily, that you can't ignore it.
I have also discovered a truthful, local, reasonably priced company to help us take care of it.  That is priceless as far as I'm concerned.

Today, the pump is being replaced and we're crossing our fingers and toes and throwing salt over our shoulders and lighting candles and sacrificing goats (not really) that a new pump will cure the problem.
The next step, should the pump not be the issue, is a costly one!  

photo credit: http://blog.owu.edu/chimneyswifttowers/
For the 15th year in a row, my chimney swifts have returned!
A month ago, I saw and heard them in the neighborhood.
However, they did not come "home" to my chimney.
I wondered if they'd found more a more suitable place to call home.

Then, two weeks ago, I heard that familiar 'chitter' in my chimney and was delighted beyond measure.  
It doesn't take much to make me happy where nature is concerned!



We have had consistent rain all winter and spring.
The color green and all its variations has returned to the Central Texas color palette!
Jenna will not even recognize the place when she returns home from College next week.
She has not been home since Christmas.

Everything is growing, growing, growing!
Blooms are on everything in my garden.
Something that I haven't seen in years.  
Weeds come with rain as well.  
I am outside constantly.  
Talking to my plants, encouraging them on.
Yes, I talk to my plants.  
Tomatoes and peppers and onions and cucumbers and herbs.  All of them.
My flowers and other plants are taking over my beds, so much so that I've had to trim them to make room for my food producing plants.


Honestly, I think rain makes people in drought prone areas happier. 
People are nicer and more accommodating.  
Peaceful even.
Funny the power water has over humanity.
Our most basic instinct leads us to the thing we need most--water!
Our happiness is tied up, again at its base, to water.

Happy Spring everyone!
I'll be in touch again soon.
Just busy outdoors right now.

3 comments:

  1. There are chimney swifts nesting in the chimney in the lobby at school! I hear that familiar chitter when I'm outside and every time I work the desk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having rain and more rain and then some more rain. I'm getting rather tired of it.
    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    https://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/sherlock-boomer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooops. Pushed "Publish" by accident. Anyway, I'm glad to see how green your part of the world has become. Best wishes for continued good weather and a prompt resolution to those sewage problems.

    ReplyDelete