Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Not So Heavenly

I keep looking at the news, hoping for some good news about those that are missing.
In a small town, just 15 miles from my house, a beautiful river became a wall of death and destruction in the middle of the night.

We've been experiencing consistent rain this Spring; something that we haven't seen in over 7 years.
However, it just won't seem to let up.
Day after day of torrential rain finally caught up with the residents in Wimberley, TX.
The Blanco River rose to 41.5 feet in a matter of an hour or so.
Flood stage is 13 ft.!

Eleven people are missing.
Nine of them are from one household----vacationing for Memorial Day weekend on the river.
It looks like a 10th person from that house is the sole survivor.
A dad.
His wife and 2 children are missing and presumed dead.
They found the family dog, 6 miles downstream in a tree---alive.

I'm not normally an emotional person when it comes to "acts of God".
I understand that bad stuff happens to very good folks.
For some reason, this flooding and those missing are really getting to me.
I guess I can't fathom the pain involved with having a family member missing among the massive, massive piles of debris and rushing water.

The rain that was so very prayed for, wished for, can stop now.
We are high and dry(ish) at our house.  
The water runs quickly away. 
Our biggest worry right now is a tree that's leaning and needs to be taken down before it falls down on a fence.

It's raining right now--again.
(sigh)


6 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about you, I am glad you are safe. I am so sorry about all this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just so sad. May God bless them all and you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize you were so close to me - I'm halfway between Blanco and Wimberley. No real damage at my house, but it's so terribly, terribly sad, I find myself breaking down into tears at odd times. But the community is coming together in such an amazing way - everyone is pitching in to help with searches and cleanup. There are facebook groups devoted to getting lost animals, items and photos back to their owners (I like to visit those when I am feeling particularly down). I love this state, and I particularly love my little corner of it. I hope you continue to stay safe - scratch those long donkey ears from a neighbor :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I find myself spending hours pouring over news sites, FB Lost and Found pages and more---hoping for good news or at least that they've found another body. I don't have any idea why it is affecting me this way---it normally doesn't. I'm so glad that everyone got out of the Settlement RV park before the waters came through. I cannot fathom the waters strength to simply lift the entire bridge off its supports!

      Delete
  4. I keep reading and watching wondering how all of you are doing. This is so terribly sad!
    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    https://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/sherlock-boomer

    ReplyDelete