Monday, September 15, 2014

My New Do


I have always thought my hair was my best physical quality.
No matter how much weight I gained and lost and gained again, no matter how little makeup I had on, no matter how many wrinkles appear---my hair is always thick and has a great texture.
It looks really great if I style it.

There's the rub.
I'm not one to always want to spend time with the blow-dryer and a lot of hair product.
I was always one to want to be able to pull it back in a pony tail and go.
It gets darned hot here in the summer and the pony tail is my go-to Do.
Spending a half hour/45 minutes with the blow-dryer just made the heat more unbearable.
Menopause just adds to the fun.

There's also the little matter of having a round face.
That, coupled with several extra pounds made a short haircut an impossibility in my book.
Hair cut to chin length "accentuates a round face, making it appear even more round (aka: fat)".
I put that in quotes because EVERY. SINGLE. magazine and website about hair says the same thing.

  

Despite my need to avoid short hair, my long hair needed to be cut.
I went to my normal hair cutting place and asked for, "All one length, just below the top of my shoulders."
What I got was an inch above the top of my shoulders.
Normally, I would have just let it grow out and called it done.
I couldn't.
It was awful!
It was uneven and I looked like I had a pyramid on my head.
No amount of hair gel and hair drying could make it acceptable.

I called my friend and hair salon owner and begged her to fix it.
I don't normally go to her for anything but coloring.
The other place has been cutting my family's  hair for 20 years--I kid you not.

This one of the most obvious cases of "You get what you pay for" if ever there was one.
An hour and a half later, she revealed the new haircut.
The new me.

I felt pretty for the first time in a very, very long time.

I can no longer pull it up in a pony tail.
I can no longer just let it dry and go.
However, I think it might just be worth it.
It won't take nearly as long to dry and I still have great hair; but now I have a great haircut to go with it!

4 comments:

  1. That haircut is so becoming to you. I absolutely love it. Your friend did a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks GOOD! You do have very nice hair. And a nice smile. If I lived nearby I'd go to your friend and hair salon owner. I'm in the market for a beautician who can give a good trim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look very nice! I think you will enjoy the freedom of shorter hair...swing free!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good to me...I almost always prefer short hair for what it is worth...you would not look good with my sort hair do though ;-)

    ReplyDelete