Thursday, September 4, 2014

How Much Does Your Donkey Weigh?


First, let me tell you that donkey weights are bloody difficult to convert if you aren't using the metric system.
President Carter tried his hardest for us all to be on the same (easier) mathematic page, but NNNNNnnnoooooo, we can't be bothered to learn something new and easier.

I digress.

The chart below is called a nonogram.
To figure out much my boys weigh, I searched and searched the internet.
Seems only those in the UK are interested in such things.
SO,
I had to measure my donkeys in inches, and then convert the inches to centimeters.
Then I had to peg the boys measurements into this nonogram, draw an invisible straight line from one dot to the other and voila'----I have their approximate weight in Kilograms.
Great.
That helps.
Not.

Thank goodness for this little widget on the internet.  It converts anything you want it to. 
 I wanted to convert inches to centimeters and then kilograms into pounds.

According to this chart and method, 
Bill weighs 209.4 lb.
Ted weighs 178.5 lb.

Thank goodness for math genius husbands like Eric who can do calculations in his brain.
If you ever want to see people's mouths drop open, ask Eric a complex math problem and he'll spit out the answer quicker than a calculator.

I digress--again.

Because my brain was swirling and I had a half dozen pages open on my computer regarding this post, I asked,
"Honey, what is the percentage difference between the boys height and weight?"

I was curious about this because while Bill weighs more, Ted is shorter.
Turns out the percentage difference in height is 16%.
Weight difference is between 15 and 16%.
Cool!
He both those things in his head, in an instant.
I didn't even know where to start to figure it out.

He sums up, "I suppose if they were human, their Body Mass Index, BMI would be nearly the same number."

So really, why do I care about how much they weigh?
I need to know how much worming medicine to give them.
I also need an approximation for when the vet comes to sedate and castrate them.
Now you know.
And so do I.

If you have donkeys and want to know about approximation of weight and body scoring, here's a link to the best webpage I found.
You'll have to do conversions though.
Lucky I linked it up top!

6 comments:

  1. I'm still back there agreeing with you about the foolishness of not converting to the metric system when we had the backing of the government. Now it's sneaking in the back door with serving sizes of soft drinks, distances in races and of course the weight of illegal drugs. Give us another few decades and we may make it into the twentieth century. I just wish I had some little donkeys to weigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool. Yes, the metric system would be sooooo much easier to use. Hopefully some day the US will catch up to the rest of the world. Lucky you with a math genius in the house. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we'd go metric too. I use in the lab where I work, and it is sooo much easier. It would really be nice in carpentry. Any system that uses ridiculous measurement like 5/32 of an inch is absurd.

    If you are interested, I have some nutritional data for donkeys from the Donkey Sanctuary. I'd be happy to share it if it would be helpful to you. You can reach me at aerissana at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little furry friends just have to be the most fun!!!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Metric is nice and all, but don't let the boys know they have castration in their near future or you'll never measure them again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looked at another post. They are adorable. Wasn't too long ago I had to look up how much a "stone" was in British weight measurement. Fourteen pounds. At least they are weighed in stones :)

    ReplyDelete