Saturday, August 16, 2014

I Love the Sound


I love the quiet sound of the donkeys crunching hay.
It's methodical and melodious.
It's simple and peaceful.

I am so thankful that I am a morning person.
I am able to get up with my animals each day and greet the sunrise with happiness instead of grumpiness.
I am able to enjoy the quiet sounds of animals and birds before the traffic noises on the highway become louder than the breeze that blows the noises toward my house.

This time of year the air becomes terribly humid as the sun rises;
so humid that the donkey's ears are damp.
I come indoors, laced with sweat from my simple chores of tossing corn to the deer and scratch to the chickens, from feeding hay to the burro brothers and filling water buckets.

I long for less humid mornings, as the dampness is the only thing that pushes me inside.
Come Fall, I may not go back indoors until my stomach cries out for its own breakfast.

What time of day is your favorite?

1 comment:

  1. I too love the early mornings when it is quiet and all you hear are the birds singing. I live on a busy street so when traffic picks up it spoils my quiet time. Some mornings, if the wind is right, I can hear the mournful sounds of a train whistle. Love my quiet mornings.

    ReplyDelete