Tuesday, July 1, 2014

When You Send Plans to Your Homeowners Association, It's Real

In case you don't know me very well, here's the deal on my property.
Eric and I have 4 acres.  
Our acreage is located in a neighborhood.  Our neighborhood has an Homeowners Association.
In the state of Texas, there are no laws regulating building rights.
If you live in an unincorporated area, your neighbor can build a concrete plant or a dump or junkyard if he sees fit.
Cities and towns have certain guidelines that protect homeowners from having something like that happen, but if you fall outside their umbrella all bets are off.
That's why Homeowners Associations exist.
Many, many people find them to be bothersome and nit-picky.  
In all honesty, many of them are.
You get people on the HOA board who get drunk with "power" and vote NO on every project any neighbor wants to undertake or hassle you because your lawn isn't properly manicured.

Overall, they are a good thing in my opinion.  They help protect the value of my property and that of my neighbor's property.


In order to build a barn or a fence or do anything to the outside of our house, we have to run our plans by the HOA.  
They review the plans and make sure we're following the guidelines set for things like building size, and overall structural good-lookingness (that's a thing, I know it is).  
In other words, "Ugly and badly built" is not allowed.


And so, Eric and I finally agreed on a barn.  
The barn I blogged about last week was not the final agreed upon barn. 
No surprise there.

When Eric finally agreed to a barn, I grabbed that sucker and ran with it.
I worked up the following proposal for the HOA and sent it out.
If they give the okay, we're off to the races.
Cross your fingers!








3 comments:

  1. I'll keep my fingers crossed and say a prayer for you that all gets approved. Love the rain water collection device.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LUCK!!!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking barn. Should pass muster easily.

    ReplyDelete