Saturday, June 7, 2014

Toxic Plants--How Many Species Do I Have In My Pasture?

Before last week, when getting donkeys was something I wasn't certain would ever happen, I pretty much ignored plants that I knew were poisonous to livestock.  
While doing a walk through of the pasture, I discovered I have more than I thought.
Chief among them is the Silverleaf Nightshade.
They just LOVE my septic field; which by my estimation is 200' x 100'.
I'll be hand mowing with a bagging mower.  
Wee!

Silverleaf Nightshade


This plant is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to plants that are toxic to horses/donkeys.

Texas A&M University lists 57 plants as toxic to horses and donkeys alone.

57!

Thankfully, they have a website where you can add and subtract things like animal, geographic location, flower colors, fruit colors, etc.
I weeded out (no pun intended) some things that don't apply to me and my list was narrowed to 48 plants.
Wow, I feel much better!
Not!

One plant ID'd, only 47 more to go.

On a brighter note, I'm very happy to do the work of getting rid of toxic plants.
The sooner I do it, the sooner I'll write a check and have the boys home!




2 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO! Vinegar can help you along your way!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I've heard that I need a stronger vinegar than you can buy at the grocery store??

      Delete