Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Time to Bite the Bullet

First off, any time I use a cliche', I have to find out it's origin.
'Bite the Bullet' was first recorded in literature in 1891--The Light That Failed by Rudyard Kipling.
We all understand that it means that you are doing something you don't really want to be doing.

My 'bullet' is deciding on a barn.  Or rather, paying for a barn.
I want what I want, but want it to be WAY less money.
Ha!  Good luck with that! Right?

I have decided on the barn you see above.  The lower half will be stone and the upper half will be stucco.
I would also like an overhang on both sides of the barn and not just one.
I'll have to figure out a way to have sliding doors AND stone walls.  
I'm pretty sure it can't be done.

I keep trying to convince Eric that we don't really need to build a dream barn.  Let the next owners build a dream barn.  I just need someplace for my donkeys to get in out of the weather and a place to store hay.

To top it all off, neither one of us love big projects like this one.
In fact, we both hate them.
We run the other direction.
Well, not really.  
We just talk about them and then never do them.
How we ever built our house, I'll never know.

In fact, I'm getting bouncy leg (nervous habit of bouncing my leg while sitting).
My brain keeps saying, "you just need a run-in shed with a place to store hay and feed".

AAAaaaauuuuuugggghhhh!

So, I need a dream barn AND I need a project manager that will ask me no questions AND have me make no decisions AND come in well under budget.

Pigs will fly first.
Maybe I can get the pig to bite the bullet for me?

7 comments:

  1. Big projects=can of worms, Pandorah's Box and give up months or years of your life. Still, if they make it to completion, How Nice!

    I like your dream barn. Not sure about the stucco but that seems to be a good idea in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stone and stucco will match our house---which is another thing Eric really requires. I have extensive bids from a man that sells those pre-fab metal barns. Eric decided he didn't really like the look of them after all.

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful barn. There are a lot of options between a run-in shed and a dream barn, but only you can decide which you want. As for sliding doors over stone walls...that is doable. A stone wall on a structure like this will be stone over top of a frame. Just build a support for the doors into the frame and have the stone go around it. Actually, the door rails will be right at the junction where you want stone to meet stucco so just incorporate the rail into that junction. The rail will appear as a deliberate break between the two and will tie them together as if were trim work. It would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info regarding the stone and sliding doors. Luckily, I do have the names of a couple gentlemen who are up to this task. It just that taking that leap of faith is often beyond me.

      Delete
  3. You need a barn hauled in on a huge trailer so there is no debate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked at those barns, believe me! Trouble is, donkeys tend to eat wooden barns.

      Delete
  4. I've been having trouble with Blogger today so if this post came thru earlier please excuse my repeats. I love your dream barn and I know your donkeys will love whatever you build for them - dream barn or not. I also would need a project manager to run things for me as I'm not good at making major decisions.

    ReplyDelete