Sunday, April 6, 2014

They're Not Babies Anymore

 The chicks will be 6 weeks old tomorrow---give or take a day or two on either side.

They are no longer tiny, peeping fluff balls.




I'd weigh them, but they never sit still.
Ever.

(l-r) Jane, Eleanor, Harriot
  This was their first time outdoors.
It's in a quiet, relatively safe place out under my deck.

 'Relatively' being the operative word.

Hobbes: Oooo, 7 tiny snacks!
Me: Uh, I don't think so.  Go catch a rat if you feel like eating out.
Hobbes: But these are so close and look easy to catch.

(l-r) Harriot, Eleanor, Marie, Ruth, Jane
 In true chicken fashion, one of the chicks, Jane (reddish brown, lower right) sounded the alarm.
All heads up, necks outstretched, all chicken voices off.
Everyone looked around to figure out where the danger might be.
Jane then silently gave the "all clear" and it was off to the races again.

Hobbes: Are you sure I can't have just one?
Me: Yes, I'm sure.
Hobbes: But you have so many!
Me: I'm still sure.



 I have a bit of a worry that Jane is really Jack.
She has been large and in charge since the second day they all arrived.

The other chicks would retreat to a corner when I'd change their water or food,
 Jane/Jack would challenge me, head up and alert.
I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.
I really don't need a rooster.

Can. Not. Stand. Still.
 Once Hobbes found something better to do than stalk my babies, they went back to scurrying about, digging for microscopic bugs and eating green weeds.

Jane or Jack?

 They should be laying eggs in about 14 weeks.  According to this little widget, that'll be the second week in July.
Unless you're a Jack instead of a Jane.  
Then there'll be no eggs, just crowing and protecting the flock and being a nuisance.


Sweet, sweet Amelia.
I see a lap sitter in my future.
 I have yet to figure out what breed little Amelia and her sister, Marie are; and I'm pretty darn good at figuring stuff like that out.  If you know what she is, please share.  


As for Hobbes, he wandered off. 
I'll have to keep an eye on the babies when they're outdoors for a couple more months.

Then one of them will just have to peck him on the nose and he'll give them a wide berth after that.

Hobbes:  I didn't want chicken for dinner anyway.  It's boring.  It tastes like chicken.

4 comments:

  1. I have been worried about cats+chickens at our place too...I hope a mere peck will take care of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These babies are FAR too little to put out in the open. They are the perfect snack size for cats. They really need to be grown before you can let them fend for themselves (4 months old at least).
      How are your babies doing? Have any roosters in your group?

      Delete
  2. Adolescent chickens are as scruffy and oddly proportioned as people teens. They have to deal with changing voices and complexion--er--feather issues too. Even is Jack/Jane doesn't turn out to be an egg layer just think of what a splendid alarm clock you'll have, whether you want it or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leenie, so very true on every count! I love this stage--they're so curious and silly.

      Delete