Tuesday, April 1, 2014

They're Back!

We moved into this house in August of 2000.
That means that 'my' chimney swifts have returned now for the 14th year.
Obviously, it's not the original birds.  
I can't say what generation this might be.
I do know they've come a long way home---all the way from South America!
That's quite the round trip.
If you'll look at the map below, you'll see that some birds go much, much, much (did I say much?) further.  
Anyway, as I do every year since I started this blog, I mark the date of their arrival.
I first heard their distinctive twitter in my chimney on Monday, March 24th.
Chimney Swift Range Map
photo credit: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/chimney_swift/lifehistory

If you'd like to know more about them, click on the purple link under the map.

photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregthebusker/
Welcome home little bug eaters!!

2 comments:

  1. You must have the best "hotel" around to get a guest to return 14 years in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good neighbors. They clean up the pesky bugs, sing a nice song and bring a little sunshine from the south with them. Yes, welcome back!

    ReplyDelete