Saturday, March 1, 2014

Where in the World is Enugu?

Nope, I didn't rename a chick or get any new animals.
Nor did any of my current animals go missing.
I do not have anyone or anything in my life named Enugu until now.


I have a little widget (look to your left) on my blog that tracks visitors and where they came from.
This morning, I see that I had a visitor from Enugu---thus the "Where in the World...." title.
Enugu (pronounced ay Noo goo) is in Nigeria.
In Africa!!
I don't know how long the person that popped in from Nigeria stayed, but I'm fascinated.
How cool is it that someone from half way around the world dropped by, if even for a second?

So many folks, including myself, say that the internet will be the downfall of us all.
It's a time waster.
It has so many, many bad things on it.
Both are true.

But just like humanity, there are good folks and bad folks.
There is good on the internet too.
I wouldn't be nearly as smart (and annoying) if it weren't for Google.
I would never have had a great New Mexican adventure.
I wouldn't see Jenna or my nieces and nephews faces with Skype or Facetime.
I wouldn't have been able to research my mom's ALS and feel informed as to what was going on with her disease.
I wouldn't have been able to reconnect with old friends and make new friends on Facebook.
I wouldn't be able to watch videos of kittens or catch missed episodes of Downton Abbey or The Big Bang Theory.
I wouldn't be able to send out or receive, instantly, prayer requests from friends and family.
A friend would not have been able to keep in touch with her husband while he spent a month in the interior small towns of India for work.

My list is silly and serious.
All of it is true.
If it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't know that someone from Enugu, Nigeria had visited my blog today.
Have you had a good experience or a bad experience with the thing we call the internet?
Has the World Wide Web served you well?




For my visitor from Enugu---I'm a bit jealous of your forecast for rain in the next week.  
However, I'm not ready for those temperatures yet.

If you see this post, please respond.  I'd like to say hello.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that is pretty cool. We are pretty warm from March 1 here. Watching the stuff coming from the west and hoping we dodge the ice apocalypse.Especially since I am tending to my sister's animals this week starting tomorrow evening. Two trips across the connector daily. Will be prepared to hunker down with them if necessary. Just better all around if we get only snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, I hope the worst of the storm misses you. It's always a challenge to look after someone else's animals if the weather factors in to the recipe.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree. I sometimes whine about how our lives are so closed in and tied up with staring at screens. But how our world has opened up and at the same time become less distant with all the magic of technology. Like any other tool mankind has invented it can be a blessing if only we use it wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with Leenie! She has expressed my thoughts very well!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://handcraftedbyus.wordpress.com
    ♬♬♬ Happy Saint Patrick’s Day ♬♬♬

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool that someone from Africa visited your blog. I visited a blog of someone from Africa once and we have become friends because of it. I totally agree with you about the internet. Without it I wouldn't be able to keep in touch with my family. I also use it to do a lot of research. Sometimes technology is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you have a rich Nigerian uncle who recently passed...

    ReplyDelete