Sunday, March 9, 2014

What Do You Think?


I'm not sure if 4 acres can be considered a 'ranch'?
I think 'farm' implies growing crops and 'ranch' implies growing livestock.
Maybe it's a Texas thing?
Maybe it's a "whatever sounds best" thing?

Here's what Webster's dictionary has to say on the matter.

1 Farm  noun, often attributive  /FARm/
: a piece of land used for growing crops or raising animals

1 Ranch  noun  /'ranCH/
: a large farm especially in the US where animals such as cattle, horses and sheep are raised.
: a farm for a special kind of crop or animal

Looks like the folks at Webster can't make up their mind.
I'll just stick with my first instinct and go with 'Ranch'.

Besides, I have two beloved donkey owning friends that have Farm in their name and I know that neither one considers what's growing on their place the primary reason for the name.
Justina and Don at Morning Bray Farm
and
Danni at Critter Farm

Then there is Carson with 'Ranch' in the name of her place at 7MSN Ranch.  I don't think she could grow very many crops at her place anyway.

And So.....
We shall sit firmly on the fence between
PoTAto and PoTAHo
ToMAto and ToMAHto
as far as definitions are concerned.



8 comments:

  1. I like it. Call your place whatever you want and let the donkey chips fall where they may. Nice logo.

    Not off the face of the earth but up to my knees in a project I put off until winter and now I've only got an official week or so left of winter, although there is most likely still plenty left for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad all is well at your house--you're just busy. I hope Spring magically materializes in a week. :)

      Delete
  2. I like it. It has a special meaning to you and that is what counts. Very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest son doesn't like it so much. He wants to redesign it. We'll see what he comes up with.

      Delete
  3. Carla, IMHO a "ranch" is a state of mind as much as land, trees and animals. A ranch is where dreams are spun, work is done and we have the opportunity to develop relationships with other members and elements of God's creation. A ranch is where families go to reconnect, build and thrive and if you buy that, you have had a ranch for a long time. To not have a ranch when you are blessed with the opportunity would seem to be downright UnTexan! BTW, I love the logo/brand! jdc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks big bro! Don't wanna be UnTexan! :)
      I am hoping to spin a dream or two with this project and will spend far more time outside once the critters make landfall.

      Delete
  4. You need to make a brand now...and a wrought iron arch as you drive to your place that has your mark!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have a brand made for fun, but would never use it. I love the idea of an iron gate with the logo. Maybe when we win the lottery. :)

    ReplyDelete