Wednesday, March 5, 2014

These Things Happen

One of my little Australorp pullets died.
I remember thinking when I brought her home that she was only acting about 98% compared to her sisters.
I'd think that she wasn't quite as active and wonder if she was sick and then she'd race around like all the others.

Chicks 'race' by the way.
They don't walk anywhere.
It's like they have tiny rockets attached to their backsides.


Anyway, she's the first chick I've ever lost.
I'm not sad, just disappointed.
Something was obviously wrong with her from the start.
Sometimes you just don't know what went wrong.

I've always been very practical when it comes to my chickens.
You can't take chicks to the vet.  
You really can't take grown chickens to the vet, either.
I realize that these things happen.  
Chickens die.  
That doesn't mean I won't be keeping a close eye on little Rosa's sisters though.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about the baby chick. It is always hard to lose something, especially something so cute and little. Good luck with the rest of your babies. May they all grow up healthy.

    ReplyDelete