Monday, February 10, 2014

Christmas Present is Out of the Box

One of my wishes for Christmas (besides miniature donkeys) was a game camera.
Santa saw fit to get me one. 
I guess they're less bulky and noisy and messy than donkeys.

My first reason for not putting the thing up right away was batteries.
I kept forgetting to buy them.

Then, I needed an SD card (widget that hold the photos).
I thought we had one laying around the house.
We did.
I just gave up looking.
This weekend, Eric got involved and found one that had enough gigs (storage for photos??) to hold more than 3 pictures.
I am a complete Luddite when it comes to computers, cameras, and even TV remotes.
Just ask Eric, I cried when he got a new remote a few years ago.

Anyway, once batteries and an SD card were on board, I managed to set the thing up and mount it in front of a place I have water for all the wildlife.
I didn't cry once.

Here is the first set of pictures from my camera.
Nothing I haven't seen before, but still fun.

Chickadee and Goldfinch

Penny, my 9 year old hen that still lays eggs.

Penny again

Me, wandering in front of the camera to test if it was really working.

First big game of the night--a doe.

Small game--a cottontail.
He looks like he's got his wits about him.  Our two resident Great Horned owls are out hunting to be sure.

Possibly the last buck "Momma" ever had.  Jenna named him Charlie.

The reason I think this is Charlie is this---he's missing his left antler.
When he was just a yearling, he got tangled in our soccer net and ripped off his little antler--all the way down to his skull.
He was so tame that he let me put antibiotic ointment on it for several days in a row.  
After some research, I decided that he had damaged the growth plate for that antler.
That fall, he disappeared and we figured he'd died.
This year, a one antlered deer appeared.
He's obviously a big boy now and if it is Charlie, his natural fear of humans has kicked in.
Just as it should be.

Another doe

The wind.  I've captured a photo of the wind!
The instructions say to remove any brush that might be in the frame, as the camera will take pictures of the weeds as they blow back and forth.

A spike buck.  He's a good size, but hunters want trophy antlers.

3 comments:

  1. How super cool! So glad you finally got all the stuff together and made your way through the techy instructions to get in up and running. I'm green with jealousy. About the only thing green here with fresh snow plus fog and frost. Keep the photos coming--please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sooooo cool. My hubby wants to get one to see what cruises thru our yard at night. Glad you made it thru the set up okay. Keep the photos coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my night camera. I find all sorts of creatures visit. Some I don't want.
    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    *♥´¨) ¸.-´¸.-♥´¨) Happy Valentine’s Day¸.-♥¨) (¸.-` ♥♥´¨

    ReplyDelete