Friday, January 31, 2014

Every Time I Think About Moving

I am down to one kid in a pretty big house.
A house built for 3 kids and their friends and our friends.

One of my friends recently downsized in a really big way.
She moved from exactly the same sort of neighborhood as I live in.
Homes with a homeowners association, but several acres between each place.

She and I both have been known to say that we'd never live in a neighborhood where neighbors can see in your kitchen (bedroom, bathroom, garage) again.
BUT,
She and her husband got tired of caring for the large house on a large property.
She moved into exactly the sort of place we both said we'd never do.

After visiting her new house, I'll admit to a bit of jealousy.
I know how long it takes her to clean her house and how long it takes me to clean my house.
I know how long it takes her to tend to her yard and how long it takes me to tend to my yard.

As I sit and type this, there are dog hair fluffies floating about on my floor.
My kitchen is not cleaned up.
My bed is made, so that's something I guess.

Anyway, every time I think that downsizing sounds delicious, I see something.
I see something that I would never see if I lived in a smaller house on a smaller lot.



This morning, I saw this.
"What, you saw the top of a tree?", you ask.

Look carefully---in fact, if you click on the photo, it should get bigger.
Near the center, about 2/3rds of the way up the picture you should see white and orange and black.

A large bird caught my eye as it lit in the top of my owl tree.
A striking figure.  
A gorgeous bird.
A Mexican Eagle---that's not really an eagle at all, but a falcon.
A bird nearly 2 feet tall with a wingspan of nearly 4 feet.

As I tried to sneak in for a closer picture, a Turkey vulture shooed him away.
Turkey vultures and Caracara compete for food.
Caracara's have a wide and varied diet.  
Eating a dead animal is far easier than catching a live one.  

Anyway, if I lived in the smaller house in a neighborhood, I would never have seen this bird.
I only saw him for a moment, but moments like these make me terribly happy.
It makes the house and yard work all seem worth it.


8 comments:

  1. Holy Cow! that is a giant bird! I clicked and was what I thought was the whole bird was just his head! Yup. Living where you see stuff like that plus the deer and other creatures is much better than living in a neighbor's lap. Besides if you downsize there would be no room to host those grandkids and Hobbes might revolt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All true---especially about Hobbes revolting. I think he'd find a home where he wasn't bothered by humans. :) Just ones that would feed him and leave him to his own devices.

      Delete
  2. You make a very good point. Downsizing does have its drawbacks. If you enjoy where you are living then why move? Hopefully some day your house will be filled again - this time with grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Filling it with grandchildren would be delightful. :)

      Delete
  3. What an amazingly beautiful bird!! WOW! Thank you for sharing. About house size and yard size...if you don't like to clean house (which I don't) and you don't like to work in a yard...it doesn't matter what size you have...you still won't do the job.

    That's my theory anyway. I hate cleaning house...hate it.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, but having a smaller house would make the job I hate (and never can seem to finish) take less time. I still have to do it whether I like it or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohmygosh, what an incredible bird! I've never heard of a Caracara... Need to go google this now...!

    ReplyDelete