Monday, November 4, 2013

Even The Plants Want Her to Come Home

I've had this weird, childish notion that if I put up the Christmas tree, Jenna will come home.
My brain says, "Jenna is coming home for Christmas.  If you put up the Christmas tree, then it must be Christmas time.  She will come home."

Of course, I know better.
Of course, I'd never put up the Christmas tree before Thanksgiving.
Still, it pops into my head about once a day.


I was out watering plants on my porch last week and noticed this.
It is a Christmas cactus.
The red things at the end of each leaf are flower buds.

If it were indoors, it wouldn't begin blooming until nearly Christmas.
Some years, it doesn't bloom at all.

I know from a horticultural standpoint, that the plant on the porch is getting just what it needs to bloom.
"12 hours of uninterrupted darkness, 50*-55* degree nights".

The plant I have indoors is exposed to light from 6am to 11pm.  
It doesn't get uninterrupted darkness, nor do we keep the house at 50*.

I get it.
I really do.
There is still a part of my brain that thinks the cactus on the porch wants Jenna to come home, too.
"If I bloom, she will come."


5 comments:

  1. The Christmas Cactus is getting ready. So are you and all the other moms who've helped their babies fly out of the nest and now miss them with all their heart. Yes, Christmas is coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thankful that I'm looking forward to her coming home. We never went through the mother/daughter hatred that so many do.

      Delete
  2. Lonely is a very hard thing to be...I hope the holidays get here fast for you!

    I love your last photo…and their smiles!!! I also wish I could get you to fix my computer ….grrrrrrrrrrr!
    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't wished for Christmas to come this much since I was a child.

      Delete
  3. I truly believe that if you want something bad enough and you wish for something hard enough it will happen. Jenna is coming home soon and your blooming Christmas cactus just confirms it. Yes, the cactus wants her to come home also - it misses Jenna too.

    ReplyDelete