Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Not What the Doctor Ordered


photo credit: wikipedia

"Hives form when, in response to histamine, blood plasma leaks out of small blood vessels in the skin.  Histamine is a chemical released from specialized cells along the skin's blood vessels."~WebMD

This was me, last week, head to toe. 
I was on my last dose of an antibiotic in the sulfa family.
Luckily for me, it didn't itch.  
Not much anyway.

While the rash was strange and weirdly fascinating, I wondered about a more peculiar fact.

Jenna is allergic to all drugs in the Penicillin family.  She gets hives.
Quinn was recently diagnosed with an allergy to drugs in Tetracycline family.  He gets hives.
And now me in the Sulfa family.
All antibiotics, all in different drug families/catagories.

Normally allergies to anything tend to run along hereditary lines.
If I'm allergic to peanuts, strawberries, ragweed, and monsters, then my children are more likely to be allergic to peanuts, strawberries, ragweed and monsters.

I'm not allergic to any of those things.
Maybe the monsters, I'm not sure.

My rash is gone.
Mostly.

Now my biggest challenge will be remembering which one of us is allergic to which drug.




4 comments:

  1. Eek! Glad it didn't itch. I can relate to Quinn in that I'm allergic to tetracycline. Interesting that you all have different allergies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you didn't itch. Nothing worse than being on a drug and then finding out you are allergic to it. This happened to my husband a couple of times. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I so sorry! I hope you get to over this soon.
    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete