Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Confession about Beauty


I have long heard that Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder.  
I know it means that beauty is subjective.  
What is beautiful to one person may not be beautiful to another.
What we humans pretty much agree on is what is not beautiful.  
The focus generally lies with the lens focused on women.
Whole industries are built around what a beautiful woman is and is not.

I know I have never thought I was beautiful or even pretty.
My thighs are too big.  My face is too round.  My eyelashes are thin. I'm fat.
On and on. 

I have only been consistently told I am beautiful by one person and it's no one any of you reading would know.  I believe him because he seems sincere.
What does he see that others don't? 
That even I don't see?

I am as guilty as anyone regarding looking at someone and critiquing their hair, body, clothes, etc.
What this does is tear me down as well.

I end up thinking, "Wow, that girl is wearing her pants waay too tight for her middle.  Muffin tops/spare tires are something to hide."  

What quickly follows is a discussion with myself, "Are my pants so tight that my muffin top is showing?  I need to wear a looser shirt so it doesn't show.  Arrgghh, I'm so fat!"


photo credit: Carson at 7MSN

I learned a lesson when I was at 7MSN with Carson's animals.
I went in knowing which donkey was my favorite, even though I'd never met any of them.
Lucy was my least favorite donkey.
She didn't fit my vision of the perfect donkey conformation.
Her ears are little too long, her neck is skinny, her jawline is.........
Therefore, she's was not in the running for favorite donkey.
How could she be favorite donkey if I didn't think she was pretty?

Rude awakening for me!

I honestly, without reservation, now think Lucy is the most perfect donkey I have ever seen.
I see her differently now.

Why the transformation in thought?

I got to know Lucy.

She is the most tenderhearted, patient, sweet, equine I have ever met.
Her interaction with me, a complete stranger, was nothing short of miraculous.
She understood the situation and never once took advantage of the fact that a "substitute teacher" was running the classroom on the ranch.
The others were distrustful, and that was okay.
I was just astounded by Lucy's ability to see me for who I was---someone who didn't really know exactly what I was doing, but someone who really cared and was trying.

I really wish I could see myself as Lucy saw me.


Do you have someone in your life who you have judged by their looks alone?
Do you judge yourself by looks alone?

Cut it out!

Think of all the wonderful people you might be missing out on having as a friend or lover,  just because they don't fit the mold of what society dictates as beautiful.

"There are too many interesting women in this life that I have not had the experience to know in this life because I have been brainwashed"~ Dustin Hoffman


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPAat-T1uhE





3 comments:

  1. Cool...it's easy to not look beyond skin deep sometimes. It's good to be reminded of all the forms of beauty out there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post today is one of the best I have read in a long time. Everything you said is so true. We should never judge people by their outward appearance but by who and what they are inside of themselves. Think of all the missed opportunities by judging someone from the outside. Thank you for reminding all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how animals always see our hearts and know what to do with us.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete