Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Blog Housekeeping and Update on My Father-In-Love



Great news!  My father-in-love got out of the hospital on Saturday!
They aren't sure exactly what caused his TIA, but he's on the mend and home.
In addition to several things I learned about how hospitals/doctors/tests work (thanks Sarah!!!!), I learned that being on Coumadin and an aspirin regimin do not guarantee that you will not form blood clots.
If a person has a condition called Atrial Fibrillation, it means one of the chambers of your heart doesn't fully empty with every heartbeat. Then the person has a condition where that chamber acts very much like a storm cloud that is making hail.  A bit of blood is left behind after a heartbeat.  That blood might then connect and make a clot with the bit of blood leftover from the previous beat.  Coumadin and aspirin address this, but not 100%.  


The best news of all is that for all the tests Dad had, he's gotten a lot of information regarding his carotid arteries and the vessels in his brain as well.  He's very healthy.  
It was an unusual occurrence, but one we now know a great deal about.

On the topic of Blog Housekeeping:
Instead of reinstating the "Word Verification" to keep out spam, I have made it so I have to "moderate" comments before they are published on my blog.
I am certainly not getting a lot of traffic, just a tiny bit really.
However, I am getting legitimate bloggers that leave a cryptic note and then finish their comment with,
"Oh, and take a look at the townhome I own and would like you to rent".
What this means is, your comment, should you leave one will not be immediately published.

5 comments:

  1. Great news! Glad to hear he's on the mend! Now everyone get walking and get healthy! I surely need to do that here and the snow has finally melted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that your Father in law is doing much better!! My Mom has AF and she has been taking an aspirin everyday for the last --- over five years I believe!! Hope he remains to improve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting out of the hospital alive is ALWAYS good news. Here's good wishes to fast healing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so very glad your FIL is doing much better. I know just how hard this time has been for all of you!

    Here is magic thought for fast healing!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to hear your FIL is doing so well. He has been in my prayers. Very interesting about blood clotting and medicine. I will keep him in my prayers that he makes a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete