Monday, March 4, 2013

"Teeny Bun-Buns"


Me: (phone rings) "Hello."

Her: "Hi, this is Stephanie.  I got your name/number from Kim"  "I've got teeny bun-buns and she said you'd take them?"

Me: "Wait, you've got what?"

Her: "Six teeny bun-buns"  "Really tiny, they are 35 to 50 grams a piece."  "Came from two different nests maybe." "Some ranchers clearing land found the nest and brought them in because their dog killed the momma."

Me: "I'm sorry.  I'm not understanding.  What is a bun-bun?"

Her: (laughing), "Oh sorry, I've got six baby rabbits and Kim said you'd take them." "Ed would take them, but he's full right now."

Me: "Sure, I'll give them a go.  Can you bring them to me, or shall I meet you?"

Our conversation went on from there.  I met her half way.  She was delightful.  She even gave me some very expensive goats milk that she'd bought and some pedialyte.  I'd forgotten how friendly rehabbers are.  I look forward to getting to know her better.  She does birds.  She said mammals make her nervous--to easy to kill.
These babies are "teeny".  
The smallest weighs less than a slice of bread, the largest weighs almost as much as two slices of bread.

I have a very sharp learning curve ahead.
Like I said in my previous post---cottontails die.
I have six.

Luckily, I found a heating pad that doesn't shut off every two hours.
That means I can sleep all night without having to reset it, just to keep the babies alive.

10 comments:

  1. Those babies are TEENY alright. They look very soft too. They may to be a challenge to keep alive but I'm wishing you the very best. Maybe they'll make chocolate eggs with marshmallow filling for your Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leenie, I hope any one of them makes it til Easter. I have an appointment with The Bunny Whisperer today---he's been in rescue for 35 years and has a much better success rate with the bunnies that most anyone around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiny is the word! I just read your two comments up above...sounds like you are going to become a bunnie whispers also.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure going to give it a try. They're far more difficult to convince to eat than baby squirrels.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your new project! I hope the little things beat the odds and make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness sakes, how have you been? So glad to see you back! I'll add you back to my blog list!

      Delete
  5. God Bless and good luck!! Just maybe with others - they will live!! God speed!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the new baby bunnies. They sure are cute. Let's hope these little guys make it. Thank you for taking them in and caring for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good. They're finally getting the hand of eating from something that is most definitely their momma.

      Delete