Sunday, March 31, 2013

Just Marking the Date

I always try to make a mental note, and often a physical note of when my chimney swifts arrive each spring.
I heard their familiar and hard-to-miss twittering last night when I was locking up the chickens.

They were on to twittering (tweeting?) before Jack Dorsey was even born. 
In case you didn't know, Jack Dorsey invented Twitter.  You have 140 characters to express your deepest thoughts and desires---or not.

I digress.

Surprised? 

Me either.

Anyway, the Swifts arrived on March 30, 2013.
(They must have spent the three extra days in Cancun this year for spring break.
They fly right over it after leaving their winter homes in Peru.)

It's very likely that the five birds I've seen circling my house are related to the original pair that nested here in the spring/summer of 2000.
Crossing my fingers that at least one pair raises a successful brood this summer.

photo credit: Dave Rintoul

8 comments:

  1. Nice to have friends who bring back a little sunshine from their vacation down south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and they're nice enough to bring some rain as well.

      Delete
  2. Just seeing them brings in sunshine from the southern world!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the way they make me feel---like spring is officially here.

      Delete
  3. I think we are finally done with snow here...I hope we can start making spring plans and see what comes here to nest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe at the executive deer blind you'll have lots of nests. I'm guessing your cats at home keep the nesting pairs far away.

      Delete
  4. A sure sign Spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sure sign that spring has arrived (at my house, anyway. )

      Delete