Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Events of the Day

Christmas day was very busy.
Eric and I finally fell into bed on Christmas Eve at 1am.
Both Jenna and Quinn were up before us on Christmas morning---a first in our household.

After coffee was started and cinnamon rolls were put in the oven, Preston was awakened for gift opening.

As per our family custom, the Christmas story is read from the bible and a prayer of thanksgiving for the past year is said.


I'm not usually one to post a picture of myself, just out of bed in the morning, but this one was worth posting.
Jenna, made me a Christmas donkey, since I wouldn't be getting a real one.  


 He was quickly placed in our nativity to relieve the poor donkey on duty.  Jerusalem to Bethlehem is 6 miles---that was a long way to carry a very pregnant woman and her belongings.  
I love his little ears, so forward and curious.

We opened gifts and were blessed beyond measure again this year.

After a breakfast on my feet, I began working on Christmas lunch.  I had made three pies on Christmas eve, otherwise we wouldn't have eaten by 1pm.
Our menu for the day:
Prime Rib
Roasted Beets, Sweet Potatoes and Butternut Squash
Green Beans
Potatoes
Cranberry Relish
Rolls
Pecan, Apple and Pumpkin pies

We were so thrilled that Mom and Dad decided to come eat lunch with us, instead of us bringing lunch to them.  Mom checked out of the hospital on the 23rd, and checked into a skilled nursing facility close to home.  It's not as bright and airy as the hospital, but she likes the rehab folks and the director of admissions is a friend of theirs.  I was worried that mom would decide she could skip staying there and just go to rehab every day somewhere in town.  She had decided yesterday that she wanted to shower at home before coming here for lunch.  All I could picture was she or dad falling as she maneuvered in and out of the shower.  By the time she got here for lunch, she was exhausted.  She assured me that the next shower would be taken at the nursing facility. "It was just too hard", she said.  I know it was so difficult for mom to come eat lunch, dessert, and then open presents, but we're so very glad she did!  

Katie, Preston's fiance' also got to come to lunch, which I was thrilled about.  I wasn't sure we'd get to see her at all.  

By late afternoon, a very cold front had blown in.  Winds gusting to 40mph and the temperature dropped from the 60s Christmas morning, to the low 40's by nightfall.

This morning, it was 25*.   The deer, despite the cold winds, were out for their meager breakfast of hard corn and veggie/fruit scraps.  Both chicken and deer waters had to be broken.  The same for the water at a neighbor's house.  I'm looking after their dogs, cats, chickens and goats.  Turns out goats don't really like goat jackets, no matter how cold it is outside.  Only two of the four were still wearing them this morning.
Jenna was already up and about at 6:30, getting ready for her trip to Los Fresnos to spend a week with her boyfriend and his family.
The rest of the day will be spent cleaning up and resting up.  Eric is outside right now, learning the finer points of his new smoker.  I think we'll have smoked meatloaf for dinner tonight.  I'll let you know how it turns out. 
I hope you had a nice Christmas and got to spend it with people you love.

3 comments:

  1. You got a donkey afterall! Way to go Peep for pulling through! Sounds like you guys had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Christmas sounded wonderful. Glad you got a new donkey - even if it is made out of wood. Happy to hear you parents made it over and that you Mom is doing better. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like me jacket either...Mom puts it on and I figure out how to take it off. Finally Mom gave up. Don't even go there with the hat...it's not happening.

    Boomer

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete