Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I May Never Go Home Again, Day 5

By now, you realize I went home, right?
The last day of our trip was very special.
I got to meet someone that I've known for four years.
"Wait, how's that possible?" you ask.
Blogging.  Plain and simple.
It's the updated version of Pen Pals.


Do you recognize this dog?  

How about this beautiful woman and her goats.
Recognize them?

How 

about these donkeys.

Recognize them?

Recognize this stunning beauty?

If you read my blog, you probably read many of the same blogs I do.
You'll recognize all these critters as belonging to Danni from Critter Farm. 

Since Danni's place is close(ish) to Portland, it made sense to finally get to meet her, her family and her animals.
I was just thrilled that she invited me to do so.

We got lost trying to find her house, but she talked us in.
She and her son, Aiden, greeted us in the driveway.
So did Roxy!  
Sweet little dog that's seen more new species come into her life than she's probably ever dreamed of.
After exchanging hugs and introductions, Eric and the boys said goodbye.  
The Nike Employee store was calling and they had a pass to get in.
That meant Jenna and I could stay longer!

The first animal Jenna wanted to meet was Danni's newest addition.
Missy, the rat.
Missy was rescued off Mississippi St. in Portland by Danni, her son and son's girlfriend--literally.
Missy was running down the sidewalk and in and out of parked cars.
Danni could tell that she was no ordinary street rat.
Poor Jenna begged for another rat at our house for days afterwards.
They really are fabulous pets!


Danni then took us out meet the rest of her critters.

The chickens met us on the back deck (why don't I have any pictures of them??!!)
Next we met the ever charming goat brothers, Pete and Reggie.

Danni and Chet
We actually met Kai, the llama, but she wasn't really up for dealing with papparazzi.
She came, ears forward, and sniffed the carrot I offered.
I was told that was a big deal, as she often won't even come close to strangers.
Maybe next time I'll get to run my fingers through that amazing coat of hers.

Beau, "You got any snacks?"
Next were the donkey brothers, Chester (Chet) and Beau. 


You can tell the difference between Texas blood and Oregon blood--Aiden in short sleeves, me in a long sleeve shirt and heavy sweater.  It was 63*.

Beau, "Hurry, give me a carrot before Chet sticks his nose in here."

Beau says Danni is a fine kisser.  Especially when she puts down the camera and picks up the carrots.

"Do I smell carrots on your breath?"

Chet, "Word is, you've got something round and orange for me."


Kind of an odd picture, but I love it.  Aiden is talking to a friend and the conversation is something like this: "Yea, I'm out with my mom and her friends, hanging with Beau and Chet....".
I felt a little honored that stuck around after we got to the house, and then came down to the pasture with us.  He wasn't at all embarrassed to tell his friend where he was and what he was doing.

"Ma, stop talking.  I know you've got another bag of carrots.  I can hear the baggie rattling in your pocket."

 Poor Roxy was feeling so left out.  She is not allowed in the donkey pasture because a certain donkey (starts with C ends with HET) is a dog stomper.  In other words, he's not too fond of dogs.
Aiden finally relents to Roxy's pleadings and picks her up from her safe spot beyond the fence.
Here, the Burro brothers check to see if Rox has any carrots to offer.
Beau wants to be friends.  Roxy, not so much.

I'm not liking this attention one bit.  Can you tell?

Nope, not here either.

 The beginning of a good laugh for everyone but Beau.

 Beau doesn't mind anyone sitting on him.
Walking with someone on his back is another matter entirely.

 I thought I'd try coaxing him with a carrot.
It works in the movies.

 Chet decided that if Beau was going to stay put, he'd be happy to eat Beau's carrot.

 Chet even went to far as to lay his ears back.
"Beau, don't you take one step forward.  This is my carrot!"

Come on, Beau!


You can do it!


Just one step!

Just give it to me, dang it!

Sssstttrrreeettttcccchhhh!


Come on Beau, lift that foot!

It was silly how we all cheered when Beau finally took this one step.
He took a few more after that, too.
Nothing bad happened to him, which I'm sure was a huge relief. :)

Good boy, Beau!!

Proof that Jenna was indeed, at Danni's house.
She's the photographer in most of these pictures.

Hey, someone new.  I'll bet she's got snacks!


You know when you try to coax your toddler into singing the ABCs for Grandma and the toddler clams up tighter than well, a clam?
That's what Beau did here.

 He flat out refused to "Play with the Cone" just for our entertainment, even though he does it all the time for Danni.

Chet decided since I wasn't doing anything while I was waiting on Beau to amuse me; that I should give him a good scritching on the behind.  
I was happy to oblige. 


I never saw the cats.
We even looked for them.
After meeting all the critters on Danni's farm, we went back indoors to partake of a wonderful collection of  homemade banana bread, other breads, spreads of all sorts, cheeses, and grapes.

My goodness, what a lovely, lovely day!
Thank you so much, Danni, for opening your home to us and showing us around.

9 comments:

  1. What fun in so many ways! Cool to get to meet a good blog friend and great to see all the animal friends. Laughed and smiled at that carrot stretch. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. In that last pic, I think I see the sun shining...you weren't really in Portland were you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We take the sunshine with us when we travel to the PNW. Same thing happened when we went to Washington state a few years ago. Sun shone the whole time.

      Delete
  3. This was just delightful! I love meeting my blog friends in person! But meeting them on the blog is also a cool thing too.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing blog post, I had to comment! I love to visit blog friends - isn't it cool who you meet online?!!! The donkeys look like so much fun! I'm sorry the cats were AWOL! Next time you'll have to make a reservation for their time! :)

    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The donkeys and goats were a hoot. So friendly! But then again, Danni is very friendly--it must have rubbed off on them.
      As for Clyde and George kitties--I didn't expect to see Clyde, he's pretty feral. George seems pretty outgoing in her blog, but maybe he's not so sure about strangers.

      Delete
  5. ohmygosh - I had forgotten what a WONDERFUL day this was. (And how did I never comment on this great post...did I even SEE it? sheesh...I really have been AWOL.)
    Anyway, this is such a lovely reminder of that really fun and happy day...And Jenna and you were the ones who taught me how to trim Missi's tiny little finger and toe nails! :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete