Saturday, July 28, 2012

Eyes on the Prize

"I don't think she sees me."

" I wonder how many meals I can make of this one."

"Mom is doing a good job of distracting her with the shutter clicking on her camera."

"Wait, do I have to get up to kill her?"
"Never mind, then."
"Mom'll get me some lunch later.  That's way less work."

Hobbes has been obsessed with the deer on our place since he was big enough to be outside.  He tried to get himself killed on his 1st birthday by a doe on our place that takes no prisoners.  There's just something about him that doesn't really process the size difference between him and large mammals until they challenge him.  He's scared of the chickens, but taunts the deer.  Of course, the deer have never pecked him on the head.


6 comments:

  1. Awww, I love Hobbes. He looks like my Jack. Jack used to be a stray cat, and he was terribly afraid of deer. We had many deer at that house where he found us as a scared half-kitten. When we took him to his first vet visit we were told he already had broken ribs which healed all unevenly. We think that maybe he was kicked by a deer. He was so very terrified of them, but of nothing else, and the deer there used to kick and stomp all the time. I even had a deer which I named Stomper. I hope Hobbes never gets injured by a mad deer!

    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn, Hobbes usually figures out when he's beat and backs off. Our deer give plenty of warning stomps too.

      Delete
  2. Poor Hobbes, the family he lives with doesn't feed him enough if he's trying to eat deer... maybe he needs a good steak :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he'd like to think he needs to eat deer. No, we never ever feed our fat cat. :)

      Delete
  3. I am surprised the deer didn't run away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I have so many deer in my local herd (about 22 right now), that they aren't afraid of my pesky little cat.

      Delete