Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My, How I Love Them


These folks are Eric's parents.
My 'in-laws'.
I call them my 'in-loves' instead.
I consider them my parents.


When Eric and I got married, I asked Dad what I should call them.
He said, "Well, none of our other kids call us anything but Mom and Dad."
Maybe it was no big deal to Dad, but it was huge for me.
These amazing, loving, accepting people considered me family!

Goodness knows they must have been terrified at Eric's choosing of me.
I came from a family that put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.
Eric dated and married me in the midst of my parents terrible divorce, my father being in a nursing home and hospital for lengthy amounts of time because of depression, lung disease, and alcoholism.
He held me and sang me lullabies when I was exhausted and undone by the continued drama of my family falling apart.
He weathered my terrible emotional storms with no judgement of me.
He let me blow and go and knew that like any other hurricane, I'd blow myself out.

Where did he get such quiet and gentle qualities?
From his parents!
He saw something in me that I couldn't see myself.
He inherited something from his folks that could see beyond my immediate frailties.
They, probably despite their own worries, accepted and love me from the beginning.
I'm sure they prayed for me.
I'm sure they prayed for Eric. 

My parents are both dead now.
Thank the good Lord I was blessed with two more parents!
They have been nothing but an example of how marriage and treating others can be.
They have shown me nothing but love and tenderness for the last 25 years.
I am so very proud to be a part of their family.
Happy 60th Anniversary, Mom and Dad!!
Thanks for loving me and accepting me into your lives!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Sixty years. That sounds like an amazing and wonderful marriage. You are indeed blessed to have them in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very blessed to have such wonderful in-laws. Happy 60th Anniversary to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very fortunate to be very close with my wife's parents as well...I call them the outlaws as so many do though...

    Anyhow, congrats to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful heartwarming post! Happy for you and Happy for them!!!


    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 60th Anniversary to your in-loves :) This is such a sweet tribute to them, Carla. I really love it. I expect they feel pretty darn lucky to have you as their daughter, too.

    ReplyDelete