Thursday, May 31, 2012

Cheesy, Tomatoey Goodness!


First, it's entirely appropriate to be wildly jealous that I picked my first tomatoes last week.

Now that it's out in the open, we can move forward.

I have a new favorite sandwich.
I don't have a picture of it. 
A picture sometimes is not worth a thousand words.  
It wouldn't do justice to all the tastes and textures that it brings to your taste buds.

Ingredients:
Sourdough bread-2 slices
Fresh Tomatoes, sliced thick
Provolone Cheese
Muenster Cheese
Hot Banana Pepper rings, aka Salad Peppers
Italian seasoning
Garlic powder

Prep:
Butter the bread like you would for a grilled cheese sandwich.
Flip the bread to fix the inside.
On one slice of bread put one kind of cheese. 
On the other slice of bread, put the other kind of cheese.
Add tomatoes, peppers, Italian seasoning and garlic powder to one side.
Top it with the other side and grill to your favorite color of doneness.
In my case, it's perfectly light brown.

Let it cool for a couple minutes or you'll be rewarded with a burnt mouth instead of a taste sensation.
Perfect accompanying beverage: Coke Zero.

5 comments:

  1. HA! Ours are just in the ground since we can have frost until May 15 or so...jealous here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you...My tomatoes are still getting started!


    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I hate you because you have fresh tomatoes. But I'll forgive you after your sharing that wonderful idea for a sandwich. (wondering if I can substitute swiss cheese for muenster--yes)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I am wildly jealous that you've already got tomatoes.

    2. Your recipe sound absolutely delish. We're definitely going to try it - thanks CeeCee!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw my first little green tomato yesterday. you are lucky to have ripe ones already - too cold up here yet for that.

    ReplyDelete