Monday, March 12, 2012

Office Assistant and the Scientific Method



Hobbes and I have "Observed" that our Live Oak trees often have several different thicknesses of bark on one tree trunk.

Our "Hypothesis" is that the bark is thicker on the side of the trunk that holds the majority of the load of the tree.
In other words, the bark is thicker (wider) on the side with the heaviest branches.



Hobbes conducting an "Experiment" regarding the different thicknesses of bark on a single tree.
I question the validity of this experiment, as I don't know that the flavor of the bark has anything in common with our hypothesis.
He disagrees.

Photographic evidence regarding the thickness/wideness of the bark on the trunk.
Notice the angle of the tree.
The load on the tree is the heaviest to the left side of the picture.

Closer inspection reveals just how wide the bark is on the left vs. the right side of the tree trunk.

Hobbes "Analysis" of the small bit of data we collected seems to be enough.
He reminds me that he's an Office Assistant and not a Lab Assistant.
He also reminds me that it's time for his bath break.

I, however, am not satisfied with the amount of data we collected.
I think the internet is the next place I'll search for data regarding our hypothesis.
The only thing I've found thus far is data regarding the actual thickness of the bark horizonally (outside to the inside) and its relationship to the height/age of a tree.

Therefore, the hypothesis remains until further information can be gathered. At that point, the hypothesis may change.

Maybe Hobbes will be done with his bath by then.
Or not.

7 comments:

  1. Oak trees are amazing. Nothing like that likes our high altitude winters. Hobbes looks like a good assistant in the field as well as the office. Although he might need opposable thumbs to help you take notes--after his bath.

    Your office assistant has company.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSK1D3bZhRs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honest to goodness the outdoor clatter of cats have worn a bunch of bark from a big locust tree by our house. They use it as a scratching post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute post! I love your cat he is really darling.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi CeeCee, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love your blog! i can have contact with the nature. I am from Argentina, kiss

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw a snippet of this blog post and had to come check it out. We have an orange cat named Jack and he loves to climb in a dogwood tree. When he's in that tree it looks very much like Hobbes in your oak tree!

    I don't know anything about bark thickness, sorry! I will ask Randy, he's really into and knows alot about trees. I'll comment again here if he has an insight.

    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete