Thursday, February 16, 2012

Will It Work--Thundershirt?

Smokie is 5 years old.
She used to be fearless.
Nothing bothered her.
Now she spends too much of her day hiding under James' bed.

Once she hit about 3 years old, she started getting sketchy about thunderstorms.
Then she found that explosive sneezing (hello Lee) was a little more than she could handle.
Following that, it was the placing of a trashbag into the trashcan that sent her running.
Lately, it's the sound of large trucks outside that put her under James' bed.
The vacuum cleaner has always been her undoing.

Because we've been under a severe drought, Smokie at least got a reprieve from thunderstorms.
According to the weather predicting folk, we're still under a drought. We have gotten wave after wave of lovely, soaking rains this winter. Don't know what the weather-guessers have to say about it, but it means one thing---thunder.

A few weeks ago, a large, noisy storm blew in the middle of the night.
Smokie lost her mind.
My bed is exactly 6 inches off the ground.
She got UNDER it.

The next storm came and I gave her Benedryl ahead of time.
Didn't touch her terror.
She hid behind the toilet.

Yesterday, I gave in to advertising and bought a Thundershirt.
It's supposed to provide calming relief for dogs that are afraid of just about everything.
Something about pressure points and swaddling.
Beats me.
At $40 and a money-back guarantee (45 days), I decided to give it a go.
It's supposed to rain today.

I'll let you know how it works.

First I have to convince her that the sound of velcro won't kill her.
Yes, velcro is how the thing goes on/off.

Wish us luck.



6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, I'm smiling (okay giggling) at the thought of you and the dog and the velcro. I hope you tell us if the Thundershirt works. I know some people who need one.

    Glad you're getting rain. Seems it's our part of the world's turn to do without precip. I've never, ever seen such a snowless winter here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Temple Grandin swears by the soothing properties of pressure on the nervous system... why not give it a shot. Poor Smokie. That kind of terror is debilitating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh, I sure hope it works for Smokie. I'm very interested to hear the results. Poor Diesel and Dolly are both scared of loud noises - and they didn't start that until they were about two years old. I have no idea what set it off. I hope the Thundershirt works for Smokie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope it works. I am having a terrible time with "word verification". Have you ever considered dropping it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Smokie. And poor you. I'm very interested in hearing how it works for Smokie. I bought one last year for Kike and still can't decide whether it really makes a difference for her. I think it does initially, but then the effect somehow wears off and she's back to being freaked out again. I have my fingers crossed for you.

    Danni's absolutely right - that kind of terror is debilitating. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well folks, it didn't work for Smokie. :(

    Linda, I'm sorry you're having such a terrible time with the WV thingy. I didn't used to have one, but got all sorts of spam without it. Adversing stuff that shouldn't be seen on a 'family friendly' sort of blog.

    ReplyDelete