Thursday, February 2, 2012

What Winter?



Today is Groundhog day.
The day this poor groundhog gets pulled from his winter slumber by idiots in top hats and thrust in the air like a Superbowl trophy.
Poor thing!
This morning it was reported by the Washington Post that:

Feb. 2, 2012

Groundhog Club handler John Griffiths holds up Punxsutawney Phil, the weather-prognosticating groundhog, during the 126th celebration of Groundhog Day at Gobbler's Knob in Punxsutawney, Pa. Phil saw his shadow, forecasting six more weeks of winter weather.

My question to you is---are you having winter where you live?

According to my temperature gauge and the plants and animals around my house, I am not having winter.
The plant you see in the first picture should not be flowering until March at the earliest.
We have gotten a bit of rain here and there and it's only gotten below freezing once or twice.
We aren't even supposed to be getting rain ("drought lasting until 2020"). I certainly won't complain though.
This time last year, we were locked in one of our coldest times on record. It remained well below freezing for 70 hours. No big whoop for Northern folk, but our "4 Ps"---plants, pipes, pets, and people" aren't accustomed to such temperatures.

This year, we are exactly the opposite. I shouldn't complain, but this weather is unsettling to say the least.
Two days ago, it was 81* and sunny! Only 65* at night. Sixty-five is our normal daytime high.

Weather is a common discussion among friends and strangers alike. I'm not the only one who is a bit afraid of the UnWinter we are having.
It's just not right.

Last summer just wore folks out.
We reached 100* or greater, 90 times last summer.
That's 3 months of 100* days. No rain either.
Isn't that desert weather?

I digress.

I think the summer did something to the mindset of many people.
I feel a bit like I did when I was a little girl in Missouri when a tornado was coming.
The sky would turn green, the dogs would pace and suddenly all was still and quiet.
It meant it was time to head to the basement.

This winter feels like that. It feels like something is going to happen that won't be pleasant.
Maybe a repeat of last summer?
Is that what it is that has so many folks feeling unsettled?

I should be outside working on the property, taking walks, tending to my flower beds and enjoying the glorious spring-like weather.
Instead, I feel like I should head to the basement.

3 comments:

  1. We've had cold weather, but not as cold as usual. And very little snow. And I'll be honest - I've enjoyed it! But I sure hope this doesn't mean we're heading into a really difficult summer.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. No winter here and it is marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had very little cold; only about two weeks worth. Also very little snow. I am enjoying the warmer temps and lack of snow. I do hope this weather continues. But, I also dread the fact that this could mean a very hot summer here. :(

    ReplyDelete