Saturday, February 4, 2012

Something Wicked This Way Comes


Well, maybe not wicked, but something hungry this way comes.

That title, by the way, is the title of a book by Ray Bradbury. All this time, I thought it was a line from something Shakespeare. Thank goodness for Uncle Google.
I digress, as usual.

One morning this week, I went out to feed the chickens and discovered something had tried to dig into my chicken run.

It's hard to see, but in three places the 'something' dug a little bit and then moved.
In 7 years of having chickens, this is the first time something like this has happened.
I suspect one of two creatures.
A skunk or a fox.

Why not a raccoon or an opossum?

Because they can climb the tree that sits next to the coop and just drop in on one of the low lying branches.
In all honesty, I don't think whatever it was, was after chickens.
Just on the other side of the fence was some leftover snacks the chickens didn't finish before heading to bed.
You know, pizza, hotwings, beer.
Well, maybe just the pizza.

Poor girls wondering why the gate is closed in the middle of the day.

Even if the critter had gotten in the run, my chickens were safely locked up in the chicken equivalent of Fort Knox.
I've explained this before, but it bears repeating for something that might be new to chicken ownership.
My entire coop (repurposed dog kennel) is lined with hardware cloth. Don't let the word cloth draw you in. There's nothing cloth-like about it. You need to wear gloves to work with it.

I built a frame for the inside of the door to block the 2 inch space around the door. Even snakes would have a tough time getting in, once the door is closed.
The hardware cloth also extends out under the coop nearly a foot. That way, nothing is digging in to the coop from beneath.
Once the hardware cloth was in place, I put sides on the coop (well, really my father-in-love and Lee did) by using plywood held in place with bolts/wingnuts. That way, it can be removed if needed.
My father-in-love built a roof, I painted and it was done.

All that aside, none of it works if I forget to close the coop at night. It has happened more than once.
Last week I saw two gray foxes in my pasture. They were on the large end of the scale as far as Grays go. Most certainly big enough to make off with a chicken or two.
**************************************************************************************

Anyway, that all segues perfectly into something really wicked and really amazing.


Tuesday night, we went to see Wicked.
Pearl was gifted with tickets for Christmas.
She raved for good reason.

The entire show blew my mind!
It was beautiful and wonderful and amazing and fantastic.
I have a crush on the Elphaba, the "wicked witch of the west".
Also, on the costume and set designers.

If the show ever comes to your town, go see it.
Start saving money now in case it does.
Maybe hit a pawn shop with your grandmother's china if you can't afford the tickets--I promise it'll be worth it.
Besides, nobody uses china anymore.
Well, I do, but only at Christmas and I don't even like the pattern.

1 comment:

  1. I sure hope you are able to save the girls. I understand wild creatures needing to eat, but NOT my hens!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete