Thursday, February 9, 2012

Breeding Low-Rider Cats

In my previous post, I gave all the hairy details about the dumping of and rescuing a stray cat.
He is now neutered, immunized, de-parsitized, and been given a clean bill of health.
That day at the cat spa (where I told him he was going) set me back $110.
All so there wouldn't be umpty more kittens born this year.

I listed him in the lost/found section of Craig's List and immediately got a hit from a woman who unknowingly gave me the information I needed to find out more about her.
Good thing, too.
She's a cat breeder AND a dog breeder.

Her website says she only breeds a few times a year. She has 3 female cats and 2 male cats.

Kittens will run you $200-$300 a piece.

Mutt puppies (Sheltie-Corgie X) will put you back $400!
The dog breeding thing is just stupid, and fodder for another post.

What's so special about the kittens, though?



This is what's so special about the kittens.
They're low-rider cats.
Munchkins.
Not my word. The word of the folks that name breeds of cats.

Here's the low-down (pun intended) on
Munchkin cats.

Evidently, they are fairly free of problems relating to their unusual body shape.
Geneticists say they are no different from Bassett Hounds, Dachshunds or Corgies---meaning they don't suffer from dwarfism.
In fact, they don't suffer from spinal troubles the way the dogs do.

Aside from the fact that the lady is a breeder, what's my beef with her?
Punett's Squares are what's wrong.

Remember Punett's Squares from Biology class?
Here's a key for todays lesson:

"m" equals a normal cat, like most of us have.
"M" equals a munchkin short-legged cat.
Remember, each animal on the planet imparts 2 genes to each offspring.

The top two letters in the square are one parent's genetic (
Mm) ability to produce kittens and the left side is the other parent (Mm).
In the Square below, both parents are short-legged cats, but have the ability to produce a long-legged variety.
Stay with me.


Mating two standard munchkins:
Mm
MMMMm
mMmmm

A litter with two munchkin-looking parents, Mm x Mm, have the chance of producing these kittens:
50% (Mm)-short-legged, 25% (mm)- normal looking cat, and 25% (MM) non-viable--meaning DEAD!

1 normal looking kitten.
2 Munchkin kittens
1 dead kitten

If you're still with me, you might be wondering why
this woman
was interested in my normal size stray kitty?
I honestly have no idea.

If she bred him to one of her munckins, she'd end up
2 normal looking kittens (mm)
2 Munchkin kittens (Mm)

Which makes her life easier?

Having a litter of four kittens,
two short-legged (@$200-$300 apiece),
one regular size kitten that she probably has to
try to give away
and one dead kitten.

OR

Having a litter of 4 kittens,
two short-leggeds
and two regular kittens (which she'll need to get rid of).

My guess is that she'll go with the first litter.
I can't get rid of my one stray cat.
How can she get rid of two regular size kittens
from each litter she has?

So, Biology lesson away.

Playing Russian Roulette with kitty genetics seems like a
horrible,
horrible way to
make a buck.
Needless to say, I didn't respond to the breeders email.

5 comments:

  1. We have recently taken in a "dumpee", too, a little dog, a purebred, of all things. We think someone must have been very cruel to do this to this sweet little girl, and yes, she's still with us after a 187.00 vet bill. But cats... I really never thought about munchkin breeding, and now I am furious with these people that only breed "one or two litters a year"... like the people I know breeding grade horses still when there is no market.... it hurts to know they are out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on people who breed the vitality and life out of creatures just to come up with some freak of nature they can sell for boo koo bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm beginning to think 90% of Craigslist holds the scourge of humanity...

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGGH. I hate "designer" pets.

    I'm a new follower to your site, and am enjoying it immensely. I"m sharing a blogger award with you "Most Versatile Blogger". Stop by my blog to accept your award!

    http://neighborlyplace.blogspot.com/2012/02/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you!!!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete