Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Very Best $38 I Ever Spent. Ever!

I have been mowing my pasture.
Four acres of pasture.
On a riding mower.
It has a 46-inch deck, which technically means it should mow a path of grass that is 46 inches wide.
It tries, it really does.
It's just that this particular mower is 10 years old and has been mistreated---by mowing the pasture.

It seems mower decks don't appreciate going over holes and rocks while trying to cut grass. They'd rather cut large areas (46 inches wide!) of perfectly flat, non-rocky areas.
Think baseball fields and soccer fields.

All that is to give you the impression that mowing the pasture is slow going.
Snails pace, slow.
It doesn't help that the grass is knee high in places, either.

Why didn't I cut it before it got that tall?
Because we haven't had rain.
No rain, knee high grass and rocky areas make up the perfect ingredients for a wildfire.
Hit a rock just right, cause a spark and away we go. The pasture grass would come alive with fire and so would the neighbor's houses.
That tends to make the neighbors angry.
Don't know why.
Well, I do.
Anyway.....

So, you're wondering what the danged title is referring to about now.
Well, while in Wisconsin, my pasture got rain. Two inches of rain!
That means I can mow with a little less worry about starting a fire.

And so mow I did.
Five hours yesterday and I'm only 1/3 done.
I said it was slow.

If I didn't have the "The Very $38 I Ever Spent. Ever" thing, I would not be able to be back on the mower today. I would be sick.
Despite the rain, the dust, mold, spores, and pollen are still out there.
Four acres of them.
Before I had this amazing contraption, I would blow dirt/mud out of my nose for a week and still end up feeling sick.

I might look completely ridiculous in my long-sleeves, long-pants, baseball cap and respirator, but my nose and chest are thrilled with the look. Thereby, I am thrilled as well.
It takes some getting used to, but is an amazing little contraption.
If it could only help with the aches and pains that riding a mower for hours and hours causes, it would be worth it's weight in gold.

Off to climb back on the mower.
Update: Finished mowing in 2 days instead of 3. Drought responsible--grasses/weeds not so dense. Ten hours on the mower instead of 15.

Multipurpose Respirator

5 comments:

  1. So happy your part of the world FINALLY got some rain. I'll bet it is wonderful to see at least enough green to mow. Hope you got a hot shower to go with the mower and your cool respirator. Just wish there'd been a photo of you at work in full gear. ;oD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need one of those...hummm

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    I think our rain and snow are heading your way....at least that is what weather channel said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear you finally got some rain. Who cares what you look like when you mow at least you can breathe. I know I would rather mow the grass than shovel snow so I am happy for you that it rained and that the color "green" has returned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have to go and get one of those for my OH. As a fellow Texan...I know what you mean about not having to mow as often because of the drought this year. Glad you got some rain. BTW...I love the Austin area!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! You got rain!Isn't it amazing how quickly things come back to life after a nice rain? I've suffered through allergies much of my life, so I completely understand your excitement over the new contraption. Mow on, girlfriend! May you get MUCH use out of that thing :)

    ReplyDelete