Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thankful Thursday 5

Normally, Thankful Thursday is about something really meaningful. Some deep thought on how very lucky I am to live the life I do, surrounded by the wonderful people I know.

Not today.

Today, I am just plain thankful for Ibuprofen.
Also known as Motrin or Advil to some people.
I buy the grocery store brand, so it's Ibuprofen around here.
I am especially fond of gel caps or liquicaps.
I don't know if they work more quickly than their hard pill brothers, but I'd like to think so.

Why?
Because I've had the headache from hades since yesterday evening. It woke me up a couple times during the night.
Did I take anything for it before I went to bed?
No, that would have been too easy.

I'm of the misguided opinion that if I take too many pills at bedtime, that they'll all just sit in my belly and brew me a toxic soup. A soup that will awaken me in the middle of the night with a bellyache from hades.
So, I don't add ibuprofen to the current mix.

Besides, headaches go away when you sleep, right?
You wake up feeling much better and forget all about it.

In my case, it wasn't to be. The headache followed me through the night, into the dawn.
I say dawn, because that's what time I was awakened. Really, I was awakened beginning at about 4:45 and was continually roused until I pounced out of bed at 6:15 to let the doggone cat outside and shut the dogs out of the bedroom.
Another story for another time---maybe tomorrow.

Today, I am just thankful for the possibility that my headache will recede with the help of the little blue-green pills.
Right now, it's all I can think about.
It's the thing that I am thankful for this morning. Goodness knows, the world is a much lovelier place with the invention of painkillers. I'm waiting on that loveliness this morning.
Thank you, Dr. Stewart Adams.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you've got such a miserable headache. Headaches are an all consuming pain to me. I find it difficult to focus on anything except that pain. I hope those pills kick in soon and bring you some blessed relief.

    Feel better, CeeCee (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think ibuprofen is a very meaningful thankful. Those little pills make life much better. I hope yours have kicked in and done their job by now.

    I like the idea of the gel caps, though. If I take those little orange Motrin they do turn into toxic soup no matter what time of day.

    Hoping you feel well enough soon to tell us about letting out the cat and kicking the dogs out of the bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love the advil gel caps...they are magic!

    ReplyDelete