Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thankful Thursday 3

I am Thankful for Water


At our house, we rely on a well to get water.
Our well is 902 feet deep!
You'd think a hole that deep would have water, no matter what.
Not true.
We have water right now, but I don't know what the summer holds. We are in what the National Weather service calls an "Exceptional" drought. Somehow 'exceptional' seems like the wrong word to use.

One of my best friends has a well that is in the 800+ ft. depths. She is experiencing periods of short water supply. Her well pump is as deep as it can be dropped in that 800ft. hole.

This might seem like another obvious thing to be thankful for, but can you remember a time when you were without water?
Have you been unable to brush your teeth or flush your toilet, let alone take a shower?
Can you imagine hauling water several miles in a dirty container so you can feed your family?

I know folks in the midwest are suffering badly right now with an overabundance of water. The flooding is catastrophic.
I don't know the hows and whys to weather, but wish the folks in the midwest could be relieved of their flooding waters by having some of that rain come this way.
My prayers go out to each of those affected by the floods.
My prayers for those of us suffering from droughts and dry wells, as well.

What are you thankful for today?

5 comments:

  1. I am thankful for water, too. Last year our well ran dry temporarily during the summer drought. The garden dried up and died. I had put so much time into tilling, planting, and weeding that garden, and it all died becauise I couldn't water it. When we got water back what little water we had needed to be used for flushing toilets, laundry, dishes, etc. We watered our animals from buckets brought from the neighbors, and we drank bottled. It broke my heart, and I've been afraid of a drought this summer. And sadly, I did not plant a garden this year. :( I miss it already, but I needed to set priorities.

    So yes, water is ALWAYS something I am thankful for. I hope none of us experience a drought again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really never know what it is like to lose water or electricity. We need these things so much. I hope and pray that you and all of Texas gets rain soon!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoever is in charge of the weather must be a little more confused than usual. We'd be glad to send you all the water you need and we're not in as much trouble as Montana and Utah.

    Funny how we take things like water and electricity for granted until they are not available. We are so fortunate to have access to both--most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ceecee, I wish I could send you some of our excessive amounts of rain. Unfortunately I can't so I keep praying for rain for you. I too am thankful for water as many years ago I experienced a drought and our water was turned off, by the government officials, for three days, then turned on for a day (during which we were allowed to fill containers), then turned off again for three days. This went on for over a month, during which the government even tried cloud seeding. It was a very stressful time - finally we had a typhoon which helped replenish our water supply. Hopefully Texas will finally get some much needed rain.

    ReplyDelete