Monday, June 6, 2011

A Great Big Thank You!!



This box is from someone in Oregon.
It was not a box I was expecting.
It was a surprise and I love surprises!

I quickly found a knife to tear through the tape that was between me and the inside of the box.
What was peeking out from under the purple tissue paper elicited a squeal of delight,

"NO WAY, no she didn't!!"

Yes, yes she did!

My friend, Danni from Critter Farm had seen my lament on Facebook regarding the upcoming National Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie Day.
You see, for all the loveliness I enjoy from living in the Southwest, three plants cannot be mine because of the heat and increasingly dry conditions.
Lilacs
Blueberries
Rhubarb

I grew up eating and loving rhubarb that grew in my Grandparents garden. My grandmother never bothered with making pie, she just made the basics of what would be a strawberry-rhubarb pie filling.
We used it like jam.
Ate it on toast.
Mostly, I just ate it out of a bowl.
It was even more special when there was ice cream underneath it.
Grandma just called it Rhubarb Slop.

Here in Texas you can get 'fresh' rhubarb at specialty grocery stores for $9 a pound.
I buy it frozen.
It's just not the same, any more than frozen broccoli is the same as fresh broccoli.

As you can see, Danni sent me 7 pounds of rhubarb.
What a treasure!
She also sent some sweet treats as a bonus for my family.

And so, on Thursday, June 9th, I will be celebrating National Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie Day with fresh rhubarb from Oregon.
There may be ice cream.
Natural Vanilla Bean--Blue Bell, of course.

I wish I could share some pie with Danni. It turns out she's never eaten rhubarb in a way that was pleasing. My pie would definitely change her mind about rhubarb.

Thank you Danni, from the bottom of my heart.
For sharing.
For bringing back lovely memories of my childhood.
For being a friend, even though we've never met.
Thank you!!

10 comments:

  1. I am sooooo jealous! Eat a rhubarb filled treat for me! What a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! That was the sweetest thing ever. :) Danni is pretty darn special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased it tickled you so much! And you know what? I totally saw someone post on your Facebook something about Rhubarb Custard Pie...I went a googlin' and found a recipe for this with a crumb topping that sounds delicious! I think I may have my first go at cooking with Rhubarb - I'll keep you posted on how it goes. My strawberries won't be ripe for weeks yet, so I may have to buy some at the store and sprinkle them on top so I, too, can participate in NSRP Day! :-)

    (thank yoooo, justinaaaaa... ♥)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the heat may be getting to you! Rhubarb? Yuck!

    Still, nice of Danni to send it...she's alright!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No rhubarb? We have gobs here. I could send you more in one of those "if it fits it ships" boxes for much less than $9 a pound. Heck I'd send it for free if you want to email me at black.eileen@yahoo.com with your address.

    Here is a rhubarb recipe that everybody seems to like:

    RHUBARB CRISP

    1 cup flour
    3/4 cup uncooked oatmeal
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup butter or marg.
    1 tsp cinnamon

    4 cups rhubarb--diced
    1 cup white sugar (part can be splenda)
    3 tablespoons corn starch
    1 cup water
    1 tsp vanilla

    Combine flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. Mix until crumbly. Press half mixture into a 13x9 cake pan and cover with diced rhubarb. Cook white sugar,cornstarch, water and vanilla until thick and clear. Pour over rhubarb. Top with remaining crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Serve with whipped topping or vanilla ice cream. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Yum! BLUE BELL ice cream...fond memories. Can't get that here in Oregon sadly. Enjoy your pie and what a sweet friend to do that!

    ReplyDelete