Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bird's Nest Revisited

I gently check the nest for hatching, every couple days.
I forgot over the weekend.
Looks like I missed the big day.

The two chicks are at least 2 days old, as they have some downy feathers. I'm guessing the third egg will not be hatching. At some point, the momma mockingbird will kick the egg out of the nest.

That bit of stuff next to them that looks like snake skin, is actually the webbing that covers those expandable soil wafers things that come in seed starting kits.
I have seen birds nests with quite the collection of snake skin, though.

We actually got about an inch of rain a few days ago (first since October, I'm not kidding). I was worried that this little nest would be no more, as it happens to be right in the place in a bush where the water funs off the roof. I'm guessing momma bird sat tight and took the brunt of the water rushing down on her.

6 comments:

  1. Awwwwww! Look at those tiny babies. So sweet. How wonderful to be able to watch the baby birds grow and take flight to a life of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most bird nest are amazing pieces of architecture, especially considering the only tools used are beaks. Humans would never carry enough mud in their mouth to make a bed for their future children, and they'd be seriously challenged to make, with their teeth, a hammock of existing materials big enough to hold a family in a wind storm.

    The new ones have a great start and a tough mamma. Hoping for long future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good mommas are awesome! Cool pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH!!! Cool post! I'm so glad you are able to share it with us. Those little Momma's have to endure things we just wouldn't like.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, CeeCee... how incredible! Congratulations on your rain - it is so dry here. :(

    Isn't it just amazing how that mamma took such good care of her babies?

    I'm so sorry I'm behind on blogging and reading your blog. I'm totally working on catching up!

    ReplyDelete