Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Family Reunion That Sucks Eggs

Why is it, that most families only get together when someone dies?
Is it something more than not getting along?
In our family, it has nothing to do with not getting along. As far as I know, we get along just fine. Of course, who can tell? We never get together unless someone dies.

Today, I board an airplane to head to Kansas City. We will be celebrating a life cut short. My brother's life. I will be seeing my nephew for the first time in probably 6 or 7 years. I will be seeing my niece for the first time since she got married. She has two children now.

Is it life that gets in the way? Maybe distance? Maybe the funds to see one another?
When I was a girl, we drove from Kansas City to Bismark, ND every summer to see my grandparents and a couple aunts and uncles. Everyone tells me we made those trips so my dad could go fishing with the uncles. I just remember times with Grandpa and Grandma and the cousins. Riding motorcycles and horses and eating sunflower seeds until my lips shriveled from all the salt. I remember little girl crushes on older boy cousins. I remember catching fire flies.

Anyway, I'm off to another funeral/family reunion. Lee said to me this morning, "Have some fun." At the time, I thought it was a pretty silly suggestion. Now, I think he's right. I might try to have some fun. Laugh with family and friends. My brother certainly wouldn't want us all sitting around crying in our beer.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of your family's loss.

    Funerals are no fun. Not going to have one myself. Do try to make the best of this day, though. Even if you don't see the family often, I'm sure you are in their hearts and cross their mind from time to time. My parents are both gone now... don't know what I'd do without the relationship I have with my sister.

    Take care, sit back, and enjoy the ride.

    DI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although a funeral is a sad time, the suggestion to have some fun is a good one. Funerals are a celebration of a life as well as a time to share grief. Sometimes after the a funeral there is laughter--remembering good times and silly things. There is the joy of renewing. Enjoy the joy and don't feel guilty. Like you said, he would have wanted it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss. My family is like yours. We are all spread out across the country. We've had a couple deaths in the family where my immediate family didn't attend. It has always been our family tradition that we celebrate the persons life. In years past, everyone would get drunk, dance and have a great time. The excessive has since ceased, but the party's go on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so sorry! Losing a family member, a friend, people we love is hard. But my Daddy always said he wanted a Irish Wake for living was for the living and when he died he wanted to see everyone having a good time.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know the answer, but wonder the same thing myself. You're right though... your brother wouldn't want you all sitting around crying in your beer.

    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete