Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hi, I'm CeeCee and I'm a Winter Weather Wuss

blog post photo

I live in the south for a reason. Well, several reasons really. But for the sake of conversation, let's just focus on the reason of "Weather" today.
In the south, you can count on two things (most of the time).
Hot in the summer. Crazy hot sometimes. That's what air conditioning and swimming pools are for.
Mild in the winter. Mild means that I will occasionally have to wear two layers under my jacket, but infrequently. My jacket is not goose down or flannel or wool. It's cotton and lightweight.
The heater does not run every second of every day. In fact, some days it doesn't run at all. I have great love of the fact that there are years where I can wear short sleeves, outdoors, on Christmas day.

I grew up in Kansas City, MO. They have a real winter there. I got the heck out of there as quick as I could and never looked back. When I get cold, I'm miserable. My feet and hands get cold and stay that way. My bones begin to ache. I just can't get warm and stay warm. Socks set up a village at the foot of my bed from being worn to bed and then taken off. I make hot tea and coffee, just so I can hold the cup. I don't want to get in the shower because it's cold in there. I don't want to get out of the shower because I'm finally warm. I......you get the picture.

When we have a cold snap here in Austin, I expect it to visit and go on it's way in a day or two.

Imagine my horror as I watched the news last night and they had a special report on upcoming weather.
"It will be colder than it has been since 1989--single digits overnight. Some days, it won't get above freezing. Not only that, but it will hang around a while. Possibly up to a week or more.........yada, yada, yada". I quit listening after that.
My brain went into "Oh my goodness!" mode.
I'll take a month of 100* weather before I'd ever want a week in the teens and 20s overnight. My poor plants! My poor chickens (will be sleeping in the garage)! The poor wild animals! The poor homeless! And doggoneit, poor me!

Yea, yea, I know you folks up north are laughing your heads off. I'm officially a weather wuss.


With all that whining in mind, take a look at the 10 day forecast from Weather.com

Either my local famous meteorologist, Bob Rose, has been in the sauce, or the Weather Channel is just making things up.
Just for kicks, I looked it up on the NOAA weather site as well.
It says the same thing as the Weather channel.

So, in fact, the sky is not falling. I got all bent out of shape for nothing.
My goosebumps will be at the ready, though.
You can never be too prepared.

14 comments:

  1. Cold weather is AWFUL. But after the icicles form on the nose one just gets numb and stupid and puts on more layers. I sympathize with you, your plants, your chickens and the homeless.

    But I hated the heat just as much. triple digits are just as hard to survive and one can only take off so many layers. Migratory birds have it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too hate the winter weather and I live in WISCONSIN!! I know I'm insane :) From Hawaii to WI, what was I thinking? Well I will tell you we might be on the 5 yr plan out of here. We're looking into different areas and those vacations I was talking about, yeah they are to warmer places. Places with SUNSHINE (I can handle cold as long as there's sun) and places that are good to raise kids and have families... Maybe Austin will be on the radar :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same thoughts after watching the weather report yesterday evening - then - this morning - not looking quite as bad! Of course - I'll be in Colorado the next week ... so I'll miss the warm up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're in the process of coming out of a week-long deep freeze and it's freezing rain outside right now - fun, fun, fun.
    I did go and take a look at your extended forecast just now. Jeez. I think I'll run around barefoot for the next, oh, 2 1/2 minutes and pretend I live where you do.
    lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leenie, I guess it's all in what you get used to. On the odd occasion when I do have to wear really warm clothes, I feel claustrophobic.

    Sarah, really great idea giving yourselves a long-term plan!! Visit and get a feel for each city. Austin would be very welcoming to a nurse and businessman. So would an Aunt and Uncle and cousins!

    Kathy, the great thing about going to Colorado is you are just VISITING winter, and then you get to come home. Pretty please, leave the weather out there. Enjoy your visit!

    Danni, has the weather gotten increasingly weird/unusual for your part of the country in the winter? I don't remember Oregon having prolonged 'real' winter weather. Stay warm! Keep those socks on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in the North. I live in the mountains in the upper-South now...both places are pretty cold during winter. I want to be somewhere warm. I am a winter-wuss too but no one else wants to move south...meanies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry, my hubby, loves the cold weather, doesn't even mind WORKING in it. Now me...I'm like you...give me everything else, but not bitter cold. There aren't ENOUGH clothes to put on to keep a person warm in the cold.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooboy, that's cold! I like where I live because the low temp of any year is like 18, days always above freezing (and normally in the 40s-50s in the winter). I too am a winter weather wuss, you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CeeCee, I live in Wisconsin and I hate the weather here (moved here from AZ 15 years ago to help my invalid Mother). My husband and I have a goal to move out of here someday soon. We are looking at Southern TN and Northern GA. Keep warm and hopefully our weather patterns warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Warren, maybe you could move a little more south. Just so you get touched by winter, but not covered in it?

    Linda, I was thinking anyone who lives where you do would have to love it? Some say the same thing about the heat--that you can only get so 'undressed' to stay cool.

    Katie, I've heard that Cali is the place to live if I want perfect weather. San Diego specifically. We love it there, but it's expensive!

    Linda, family is the same reason my niece moved from Hawaii to WI. They, like you, are hoping to move further south.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel for you. If you arent’ used to it or hate it--it is rough. So--is it really going to be as cold as old Bob says or is he way off? This has been a crazy winter so far and it just started :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forget touched by winter. I want to move to Nicaragua or someplace completely devoid of winter...would not bother me a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh CeeCee... we are so similar. :)

    There are few things that I dislike more than being cold. Goodness.

    You're right... you can never be too prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love love love your blog. I found you through the Texas Blogging Gals page and I am your newest follower!! I hope you'll pop over for a visit soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete