Friday, December 24, 2010

Movie Review-True Grit

The name that is missing from this movie poster is Hailee Steinfields.
Her name should be above the other three.
She absolutely carried the show. She is up for the Screen Actors Guild 'Best Supporting Actress'. Not really sure what the criteria is for Best Actress vs. Supporting Actress, but without this little girl, there wouldn't have been a movie.
She was 12 when they began filming, by the way. She is so spot on with her lines and her character development. Full of spit and vinegar and won't take no for an answer. She stands upright and takes on every man that gets in her way. Most often, the men walk away wondering what just happened.

The Coen brothers have had some out-of-the-ballpark movies and they've had a flop or two. This one is right up there with O' Brother, Where Art Thou, No Country for Old Men and Fargo. In fact, it's really combination of all three movies. There are laughs and there is blood. Thankfully, there is no gratuitous violence. Every shot fired is necessary for the movement of the plot.

I went into the movie prepared not to like Jeff Bridges. In all the trailers, his slurred speech was a turn off. I thought he could have played Cogburn without the gravely voice. He surprised me by pulling it off.

My first thought about Matt Damon was, "No way. He's too pretty". In fact, that's just the character he plays. The Coen's obviously chose him for a reason and you come to love him.

James Brolin is the antagonist in the story, but only appears on film the last 1/3 of the movie. He does a fine job. Nothing to write home about.

I'd give this movie 4 out of 5 stars. The ending, left me wanting more. I wanted more closure.
You can't have everything.
It was definitely worth the money.
I'm hoping young Hailee will get a nod from Oscar this year. I'm sure we'll see more of her in the future. She carries this movie, single handedly. The others are just supporters.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up! My sweet little rural town has 1 theater, which shows 1 movie a week at a time. 1 showing a day!!! They manage to get all the good ones, so I'm sure I'll have my chance to see the new True Grit.

    Nancy in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't imagine this movie without John Wayne, one of my all time favorites. But I have to admit the previews looked good so we will be going to see it for sure. I am glad you agree that the movie is worth seeing. Can't wait to go now. Thanks for the review Cee Cee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this CeeCee! We never go to the movies, but always wait for things to come out on Direct TV or Netflix. I can't wait to see this movie, so I think we're going to see it this week at the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Cee Cee--I want to see this but now really want to see it. So glad you did a review for us. I heard that little girl is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We saw the previews for it last night and both agreed it looked like a wonderful remake. I'm glad you reviewed it for us. I'll definitely be looking for it when it comes out on DVD.

    ReplyDelete