A blogger friend, Katie, has been to hell and back this year. She spent February in the ICU fighting for her life. Meningococcal septicemia almost won. It redefined how she looks at herself and the world around her.
Today on her blog she listed
"30 Things I Love About Myself".
I'm going to give it a shot today. Thank you, Katie, for helping me outside my comfort zone. It's important that we all do it once in a while.
Most days, I'd be hard pressed to list things I even 'like' about myself.
I think it's a woman thing.
We aren't supposed to pat ourselves on the back.
We aren't trained to say, "Thank You" when someone compliments us.
We are trained to say,
"Aw, this old thing, I've had it for years".
"Really, you think so? I was thinking it makes my backside look big."
"You have to say that because we're married."
"Really? I think it has waaay too much salt in it."
And so, feeling much like this fawn did when I took his picture, I will list 30 things I love about myself.
If you are feeling brave, please list a thing or two about yourself that you love.
Thirty Things I Love About Myself
1. Friends can count on me.
2. I almost always make dinner for the family.
3. I have thick, happy hair.
4. I know a little bit about a lot of things.
5. I'm frugal.
6. I will turn the car around to rescue a turtle in the road.
7. If I'm wrong, I will apologize.
8. I have learned to say 'No, I'm sorry I can't ...."
9. I have great skin.
10. I am accepting of all people.
11. I conquered my fear of flying.
12. I'm not afraid of physical work.
13. I try to make our home a refuge from work and school.
14. I make pie crust and biscuits from scratch.
15. I am brave to have an animal put down when it's time.
16. I would do #15 for a friend, if they couldn't.
17. I try to give folks a 'story' (excuse) if they are rude to me.
18. I don't think I'm any better than anyone else.
19. I sing in the car. Loudly.
20. I make up silly songs about the people I love.
21. I would drive all the way to DDs house to move a dead animal if she asked me to.
22. I will take care of any neighbor's animals for free. Even horses, which I'm allergic to.
23. I love nature/outdoors.
24. I believe in God.
25. I believe that God doesn't have to be found in church or religion.
26. I talk to my animals.
27. I am raising good kids.
28. I can take pretty good pictures.
29. I am working on understanding what my kids mean and not just what they say.
30. I take a nap without feeling guilty.
How about you? Anything you love about yourself?