Saturday, July 31, 2010

Taking Pity on the Pregnant Girl

Well, a pregnant squirrel anyway.
How do I know she's pregnant?
She was up on my porch about an hour before I took this picture. By the pieces of plastic littered everywhere, it looked as though she'd spent a great deal of the afternoon trying to break into the bin where I keep the sunflower seeds. She lay quite prostrate under a chair in the shade. Worn out and without a single sunflower seed to show for it.
What she did show me, was a belly full of nipples that hadn't been used yet. It was also a very, very round belly.
I know squirrels are the bane of some bird lovers existence. I'm just not one of those bird lovers. Their antics, acrobatics and perseverance often inspire me. I spent a three years of my life volunteering with Wildlife Rescue. My animal of choice was squirrels. Baby squirrels.
Baby squirrels went to church and on vacation to Arkansas. Baby squirrels went to the grocery store (ssshhhh, don't tell the health department).
So, in affect, by feeding this pregnant momma her own bucket of sunseeds, I'm helping baby squirrels again. This time, I'll leave the raising them up to her.

7 comments:

  1. So sweet of you:))) And I can see a chicken helping her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, she looks tired and hungry. There's a special place in heaven for people like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work, pregnant mommas need LOTS of food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She does look tired, all laying out there! Is that really a chicken tail in the background?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You amaze me. You just do. I completely agree with Katie - there is certainly a special place in heaven for you. You are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun photo. Makes me smile. Poor little hungry momma. I had a pregnant momma squirrel climb up to my kitchen window and stare at me in a request for more sunflower seeds. Squirrels may be a problem for some, but that is because they are so darn smart -- and cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww! I hope you'll get to see the babies anyway... and share them with us!

    ReplyDelete