Friday, July 23, 2010

Schneaky Chicken

What's wrong with this picture?
Well, besides the fact that my older chickens are nowhere to be seen? (They're out free ranging)
I keep the new girls in the run, because 4 acres is just too big a space to look for eggs each day.

There are supposed to be four Buff Orpington hens in this picture, not just three.

August is missing. Where could she be? More importantly, how'd she get out?
Usually when a chicken accidentally ends up on the outside of the fence, they hang around.
That flock instinct is strong.

Hmmm, I wonder.
Several time in the last week, when the entire flock has been out free ranging, I've seen August come out from under this grass. Each time, I thought she must be hunting lizards and snakes. Still, this grass is an awfully long way from the coop and even the house. We have a very long driveway.

Nope, no chicken here.

For some reason, I decided to move the grass just a bit. Much to my surprise, the grass was 'hollow'. It seems the center of the plant died out, and left a perfect hiding place.

On the day I discovered her secret hiding place, I found 5 eggs in this 'nest'. Dang, I hate throwing eggs away! I had no idea how long they'd been there and it has been in the mid-90's for the last week.

Yesterday, when I took these pictures, I found she had escaped again.
Evidently, flying out of the chicken run, taking a very long and lonely walk, and then sitting in a grass right by the road to lay an egg is preferable to laying in the safety and quiet of the coop.
Go figure.

"What?" "Hey, while you're here, can you let me back in the chicken run. I'm hungry."

6 comments:

  1. Look at her fantastically fluffy chicken butt. I love that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! A hen with an independent spirit. Next thing you know she'll be organizing the whole farm to plant wheat and make bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. I have a few of these..... I float the eggs to see if they are any good. Put them in a pot of cold water - if they float, they are bad. If they cling to the bottom, they're good to go. You probably know that. It's just that floating is a regular activity around here :( Danged ornery chickens. They'll be the death of me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's just shy, that's all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A girl needs her privacy, don't ya know. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny, CeeCee. It's a good thing you figured out where she was going with four acres! :)

    ReplyDelete