Thursday, July 15, 2010

I Don't Care What You Call Them

My chickens just call them snacks.
I found these 12 caterpillars munching on one morning glory vine. Needless to say, there's not much vine left.
They belong a species of moth that is often mistaken for a hummingbird--thus the name, hummingbird moth.
They also go by Sphinx moth and Hawk moth.
They have cousins that are very fond of tomato plants--Tomato Horn worm. Not worms at all, but that's splitting hairs when you grow tomatoes.
They all have a 'horn' on their tail ends. It doesn't do anything, but I still can't bring myself to pick one up with my bare hands.
These cats were each well over 2 inches long. They are usually this big before I spot their damage in my garden. What happens is, one day there's a plant, the next day it's nearly gone.

I'm sure I missed one or two because my morning glory is smaller yet this morning.
Off to hunt snacks for my chickens.

5 comments:

  1. It really is amazing how quickly caterpillars can decimate a plant. But you sure found a bunch with pretty colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chickens will enjoy them but I wonder if you'd feel a little better if you gave them the old salt treatment. I suspect they react like a slug would? Huh, come to think of it, I have never tried that...hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are these the ones that spit green goo? I see happy chickens in your future, CeeCee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A FINE collection of worms/caterpillars aka decimators.

    I used to get the job of picking horn worms off the tomatoes because I would. I'd use gloves and toss them on the ground and stomp to see the slime explosion. Good way to take out pent-up brother-bother frustration, I guess.

    With all my efforts those critters still took quite a toll on the garden. Even with our free-range chickens helping in the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would diatamaceous earth work? spelling could be wrong but sonic is correct!

    ReplyDelete