Monday, June 28, 2010

When You Tire of BLTs

I first ate Tomato Pie, last year at a local diner called, Kerbey Lane Cafe. I knew I loved tomatoes. I knew I loved pie. What's not to love about pie?
This pie was heaven on a plate! It was sweet from the tomatoes, salty from the cheeses and olives, a bit spicy from the onions and fresh basil, and savory from the buttery crust filled with herbs.

I make a mean pie crust, and so decided "I can make this pie!" It took me a year, but here's my go at it.
I will tell you that I ended up making a tart---a whole pie was too much for just Pearl and I to eat. To make a full blown pie, double the ingredient list and bake it 1 hour.

All the veggies and basil are from my beloved CSA, Johnson's Backyard Garden.

Ingredients:

5 Tomatoes
10 large Basil leaves
1/2 a small Onion
2/3 cup Mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup 'garlic and herb' Feta cheese
A 9" Homemade Pie Crust
Italian Herb blend, Garlic powder, and Pepper--all to taste.
Preheat oven to 425*

Note: You can use a store bought crust, it's just not nearly as yummy.

I peeled the tomatoes. I don't care for the skin when the tomatoes are cooked.

Fresh Basil.

Tomatoes: Peeled, sliced and deseeded.
Is that a word?--Deseeded?

I then put the cutting board at a slant, held in place by a paper towel. The idea is to get the tomatoes to give up some of their juices so the crust won't be soggy.

Mozzarella and Feta.
Of course, you can use plain Feta, but the flavored kind adds a little extra something.

Tomatoes and Onion awaiting their place in the pie.
Slice the onions very thin so they will cook well.

Sliced Basil.
Be sure not to do this until right before you assemble the tart/pie. Otherwise it will turn dark from exposure to the air.
The crust, full of herbs and spices.
I roll it out between two pieces of plastic wrap. That way no extra flour is added and I can pick it up to place either in a pie pan or onto the cookie sheet. It takes all the pain out of making homemade pie crust, as far as I'm concerned.
Here, you see I've placed the crust on the cookie sheet before I add the ingredients. Once they're in, there's no moving the tart.

Tomatoes, Onions, Cheeses and Basil.
Repeat one more layer.

Gently pull the corners up around the veggies.
I brush on egg to make sure all the cracks are sealed up and the crust browns nicely.

Bake at 425* for about 30-40 minutes or until you see the tomatoes bubbling a bit.

Voila'. Dinner is ready!
Let is rest for about 15 minutes before cutting.

Add a salad and you have a meal.
Or not.
Whatever you want.
I'm not your mother. You can have ice cream as a side dish if you want.
In fact, strike the salad idea.
I'm thinking that vanilla ice cream would pair well with this pie.
If you're a wine drinker, I have no idea what wine would pair well with this pie.
Maybe someone can chime in and help you out in the wine selection.
Maybe I should get off here before I get any more off topic.

Enjoy.
By the way, I never tire of BLTs as my title suggests.
The end.



7 comments:

  1. CeeCee,

    That looks absolutely delish and your pictures are beautiful! We're definitely going to have to give this one a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CeeCee - that looks sooooooo wonderful! My stomach is growling now.... As soon as our tomatoes start coming in, I'm making this!! And I think I'll make tarts like you did - perfect meal for the two of us. I can hardly wait! Thanks for the recipe and nice tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love tomtoes, so I'm going to have to give this one a try! My husband doesn't share my love of tomatoes, but oh well, if I'm cooking, he'll be eating! Thanks for the recipe! Thanks also for the idea of using plastic wrap instead of flour when rolling out the crust! Excellent idea!
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummm.... where do I place my order?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you leave this one in your archives for a couple of months. That's how long it will be before I have enough garden tomatoes to try out my skills on your amazing recipe.

    The tomatoes in our stores are like red rubber balls. They are genetically tough to survive shipping but are also flavorless. Bleh. My garden tomatoes are blooming. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so making this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your recipes!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete