Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I Love Surprises!

Back in November, I received a coffee cup in the mail. For quite some time, I didn't know who'd sent it. It took a bit of detective work to discover that it was my brother-in-law, JD, that had sent it to me.
I also reported in that post how JD and Lee have a silly side, that not everyone gets to see. Case in point. Back in December, JD sent me a picture and dared me to blog about it. In fact, he double-dog dared me. If you've seen A Christmas Story, then you know that you can't be double-dog dared and not step up. My reputation was at stake!
My prize for blogging about it was to be the perfectly-tacky-in-every-way, lamp from the A Christmas Story. Not expecting him to really pay up, I was delighted beyond description when a box from a toy company showed up yesterday. With MY name on it. It was as though I had received the "Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells the time". I couldn't locate a lightbulb quickly enough. My joy was only amplified to discover that the lamp lights up in 3 different ways. My only sadness was that we do not possess a picture window on the front of our house, so I can share this lamp with everyone that passes by.
(I have no idea why this whole paragraph is underlined??)

Thanks, JD! You made me quite happy yesterday.
I told JD that the lamp would have a spot in my office, since we don't have the picture window. I changed my mind. In the spirit that Mr. Parker displayed, I put it out in the house so at least our guests can enjoy it.
A bit of trivia about the little boy who played Peter Parker in A Christmas Story, Peter Billingsly. He played an elf in my favorite christmas movie of all time, Elf. For some reason, he was 'uncredited' in the part, although he had several lines.

8 comments:

  1. Ha! I love this! That lamp is definitely tacky in every way - and it makes me smile that you put it in your living room to share with guests. Your brother-in-law sounds like a lot of fun - and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haaaaa!! I almost think you guys need to have a picture window put IN on the front of your house so you can proudly display this to the rest of the neighborhood!!
    (I can't believe it's going to be 89 degrees at your house today - jealous!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding! The kind of gift a brother would give. Love that net stocking and the fringe. Christmas story is a classic right up there with The Wizard of Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Farmgirl said! That is too funny CeeCee. What a great surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cee Cee! Lights up 3 ways?!? I had no idea! Glad you liked it. See you soon!
    Love,
    jd

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's awesome, love it! I bought my friend a string of the "leg lamps" and she loved it. It totally fits her too! Glad you are enjoying it! BTW- how are you posting pics, I can't get my blogger to upload pics! Frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That lamp...is a thing of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny because my youngest daughter loves that movie and she insisted she wanted two of those lamps for Christmas last year. So now they adorn each side of her bed. She also has a string of mini lamp leg lights she puts around her window at holiday time. Funny!

    ReplyDelete