Friday, May 14, 2010

Beauty and the Beast

It's that time of year. It's when rather nasty, prickly plants provide food and beauty.

Dewberries.
When we get a nice, wet spring, we get lots of berries. I'm in competition with the birds, deer and rabbits to get to them. Gathering enough for a pie requires gloves. Just picking one or two for snacking can be done with a steady hand.
Prickly Poppy.
I'm surprise Disney hasn't come up with an evil queen with this name.
Beautiful and evil, all at the same time.

Prickly Pear Cactus in bloom.
Each bloom produces a fruit that is made into jelly. Not by me though, wwwaaaayyyy too much painful work for a not-very-tasty jelly.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing how Nature uses spikes and hooks to defent itself and also send seeds to new locations. Blackberries grow wild and rampant in nearby lower altitudes. Well worth the battle to bring home the booty. The Prickly Poppy IS so beautifuly evil. And I very much agree on the Prickly Pear jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have a few prickly things, don't you? :) I feel silly - I've never heard of dewberries. They're quite large... are they like boysenberries?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year we had an especially wet spring, and we picked gallons of wild raspberries and dew berries. This year is very dry - but the berry bushes are loaded in blooms. I hope they amount to something, and I hope we get enough berries for jelly and maybe even a pie or two.... I love that Prickly Poppy! And the cactus bloom is just beautiful. You have some pretty flowers around there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were just talking about dew berries this weekend...I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. prickly pear cactus just the other day, and how the fruit is called "tuna" for whatever strange reason. Loved the pics.

    ReplyDelete