Wednesday, May 19, 2010

And I Don't Even LIke Purses

A couple days ago, I got sidetracked while doing a chore. Typical.
Yesterday was no exception to that part of me that can't finish one job before beginning another.
We got 8 yards of bark mulch delivered to put in our plant beds. For weeks and weeks we've been raking, pulling and hoeing up the weeds that set up housekeeping in the beds over the winter.
Yesterday, I hit the last of the weeds with the big gun---Round Up.
Squirt a weed here, squirt a weed there. I was hardly paying attention. Then, while squirting some Queen Anne's Lace, I noticed a brightly colored caterpillar.
Dang it! Side tracked again.
The poor thing squirmed and twisted and I felt horrible. I gathered it up and took it to the house to rinse it off. I then wandered to a neighbor's property to let it go. We plan on mowing our pasture this week and I didn't want it to get 'mowed'.
Can you see where this went? I spent the next half hour rescuing Black Swallowtail caterpillars from my beds before I went on spraying the weeds.
I tortured them by making them endure a photo shoot before I took them all to a safe place to finish growing.
Today, I will torture myself by moving the bark mulch, one wheelbarrow at a time.
But what does all this have to do with purses, per the title of this post?
The largest caterpillar in the picture is lime green, yellow, black and white. Those colors would look amazing on a purse!
I have never ever liked purses. Some women have as many purses as they have pairs of shoes. I was given a purse a few years ago as a gift from Lee. We had seen it in Hawaii when we were attending my niece, Sarah's, wedding. I suddenly understood why women love purses. It was a magical purse, which is only fitting because it was designed by the magical folks at Cirque du Soleil.
That was 2 1/2 years ago. The purse that rivals all other purses, has seen some use. The bright colors are beginning to fade. It's time for a new purse.
Lucky for me, I'll be seeing a Cirque show in July. Maybe I'll peruse their purses for a lime green, yellow, black and white purse.
I'll bet it won't be too hard to find.

6 comments:

  1. Swallowtails are some of the grandest butterflies. When she was little one of my daughters just about followed one off a cliff with her bug next. We took the net away for the rest of the hike--afraid she would get lost.

    The catepillars you rescued are lovely. Do they eat weeds like monarchs or do they go for garden greens? Good luck on finding a new cool purse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those would be fantastic colors on a purse... I had B and the purses went out the window. I have a wallet that gets tossed into the diaper bag... proof that life is no longer all about me :) It's good to have kids, it's good to learn that purses are beautiful but unnecessary :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but you're thinking of caterpillar colors and purses. You are one fascinating and unique lady. (g) That's one of the reasons I love to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some lucky caterpillars CeeCee. You'll have to share some butterfly pictures with us later this summer. Agreed - the color of that largest caterpillar is stunning. How awesome that you took the time to rinse the one caterpillar then spent more time to rescue more. I'll say it for the second time today - you ROCK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not much into purses but those are some dang fancy caterpillars! Good find and good save!

    ReplyDelete